Wiring a vintage keyboard to PS/2

TheCollector

Baseband Member
Hi there,

I have an old AMSTRAD Retro Keyboard that would of had a DIN 5C plug on the end, no adapters where made for the DIN 5C type.

I'd like to use this keyboard for one of my sleeper build PC's and I had a spare PS/2 extension cable lying around so I've cut one end off and my plan is to solder & heatshrink the PS/2 cable to the old keyboard cable.

I've been looking around the internet but have found nothing in regards to what the color codes of the wires are.

Obviously Red would be the 5 volt input and black would be ground but I still need to determine which is the clock wire and which is the DATA wire.

On each of the cords I have different colors,

Old keyboard cord has:
White
Yellow
Orange
Black
Red

PS/2 cable has:
Yellow
Brown
Green
Orange
Black
Red

From what I've found on the net so far is that I'd only need 4 wires. Now I will need to join them however I was just wondering if somebody could give me a little more info.

Cheers.

I'll guess I'll have to open up the keyboard and study the keyboard driver board and draw out the schematic and maybe get the alligator clips out and multi meter and start experimenting, its probably the only way I'm going to find out what wires go where.

Back
Top Bottom