wireless strengh is lower than it should be

Spartan109

Fully Optimized
so when i fresh install my OS (win 7 64bit,build 7057), my strengh ranges from good to excellent,now however its always fair to poor and i cant play any games.

anyone no why it would just....fade?

Well man you just installed a obsolete verison of win 7, you need to install the win 7 RC (7100 build).

Also do you have the lastest driver installed for the adapter your using?

no im using windows to manage my wireless, but its not the os this happened in xp too, its just awesome when i have it running for the first while and now its not doing so well

ill see if th drivers help at all but i think windows update already got the latest for me

EDIT: its running at 54mbps and it should be at 108mbps hmmmm

There's most likely some outside signal interference. Your wireless devices will adjust the data transfer rate to compensate.
Check for a 2.4ghz cordless phone in range. Roughly 50 to 100 feet.
Microwave ovens will throw out 2.4ghz signals.
Some wireless security cameras will blanket a wireless network effectively drowning out the network signal. Range will vary but again roughly 100 to 200 feet.
Other systems on overlapping channels will cause a harmonic distortion of the signal degrading it.

Ok so that's what you could have going. Simple test for other systems on your channel is to move the wireless router to another channel. Then click the icon in the tray and let windows show you if it sees it. If it does then click on that and check the speeds.
But just so you know it may say it has a 108 or 54 mbs connection but the data transfer rate is a different story. Way too many variables.

well i got a 2.4ghz phone about 50 feet away(the base) and all throughout my fairly small house, and it works fine. my dads lappy also runs fine.

on a side note it was making a fool of me in CSS tonight -_-

lol, so maybe installing the drivers fixed it? but the strenght was so low i dont think it did.

how do i switch channels? its not letting me

In the router main set up you have a channel selection. Make sure you hit the save button. Your computers "sniff" the airwaves looking for wireless networks. Open the network icon and select your network.

Back
Top Bottom