wireless router problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

notamondayfan

Baseband Member
hey guys.

jus a problem thats been bugging me for too long 2 day!

im trying to set up a wireless network to basically share NTL cable broadband.

there are 2 computers in the network, and 1 wireless router.

both pc's are running XP home.

the router is Linksys WRT54GS.

both computers can access the internet when plugged directly into the modem using an ethernet cable.

both computers also can connect to the wireless router, and both have excelent signal strength.

so im guessing the router isnt forwarding the internet to the computers? ive messed around with loads of settings but arent getting v far at all!!

any ideas??

any help much appreciated, thanks, deano!

Have you properly configured your router ?. (If you don't know how a good place to start is the manual)

Can you verify for us if your router is getting an IP Address from the ISP? You have put the Account username & password into the router so that it can connect to the ISP correct?

Just need to start troubleshooting somewhere, and unfortunatly, you haven't provided many details for us on what you have done to configure the router..

ok sorry. to clarify i cant get internet access using the wireless router.

im using NTL broadband, so i dont need a username and password, the broadband is always on.

for the internet configuration settings im using "Automatic Configuration - DNCP"
the other options are Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, Telstra, L2TP.

Can you verify for us if your router is getting an IP Address from the ISP?

how do i do this exactly?

Do this, plug one of the computer into the modem and make sure it can get online. Now open up command prompt and type ipconfig /all and write down the physical address (MAC address) of that computer.

Plug the router back on the modem, plug the computers onto the router, get onto the router config page, look for the MAC cloning setting in the router. Enter the MAC address that you wrote down into that setting, save the setting.

Unplug and plug the power of the modem then wait 5 sec and unplug and plug the power of the router.

Once all light are stable and ready, go onto the computers and do ipconfig /all to verify you have an address from the router.

See if you can get online now.

so what happens when you click "view wireless network".

fyi. that router is junk. a lot of people have problems with it

quick update, and thanks 4 ur help guys

finally got it working after ringin around several places. in my router internet config i needed to select DCHP (im writing off the top of my head so appologies if im wrong), and the domain was "ntlworld.com"

jus thought id post that incase ne 1 else has the same prob.

thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom