Wireless Router Networking Problems with LAN Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance T

Beta member
I recently installed a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router, which replaced my Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router. I have 4 networked computers - 3 are desktops and 1 is a laptop. Previous to installing the D-Link I had no problem accessing the internet and networking all computers. However, with the installation on the D-Link Wireless Router though accessin the internet is not a problem, networking is not totally functional. The laptop, which is connected wirelessly and the main computer network with each other with no problem. However, though I can see the other 2 computers in My Netwok Places on both the laptop and the main computer I am unable to access them. I have run the Network Setup Wizard several times on the other 2 computers, but nothing seems to resolve the problem. In addition, I am also unable to view my home network on these 2 computers. When I re-installed the Belkin router everything work fine again. Any help would be much appreciated as I have struggled with this for several days. D-Link technical support was of no assistance as they told me that they did not support networking problems - only internet access problems...Thanks - Lance T

what os's?

with the dlink in, ping all machines. this should pass since you can get inet access. then we'll move onto configuring filesharing.

Thanks for responding. All desktop PCs are running Windows XP SP2, and the Laptop is running Windows XP Media Center Edition Ver. 2002 SP2. I re-installed the D-Link and pinged each machine. They all passed each indicating its appropriate IP Address, identical Subnet Mask, and identical Default Gateway. However, none showed the Connection-Specific DNS Suffix.

does the d-link have the correct domain/workgroup information, check the belkins lan/wan settings and take note of how its setup, then try to duplicate them on the dlink.

The D-Link has the same info. as the Belkin with the exception that the IP and MAC addresses are different. The D-Link also shows the correct IP Addresses for each computer. However, though the main computer and the wireless laptop can see the other 2 computers via My Network Places - neither is able to access them. While the other 2 cannot see any of the Home Networked computers via My Network Places.

Additional info.: I ran Network Diagnostics via the Help & Support Center on the 2 LAN computers that can't access my home network and the diagnostics failed on both of their IP Addresses. But, I'm not sure what this means, except that they still don't work.

try this - start > run - type "cmd" press enter
type "ipconfig /all" press enter

do this on all machines - they should all have similar info
example:

192.168.1.xxx - where x is any number 1-199 (most wireless 4 port routers by default will assign between 100 and 199)

255.255.255.0 - this subnet mask would match my example - yours may be diferent, however all should match each other identically.

make sure that all are listing the same DHCP and Default Gateway ip addresses. The Default Gateway should match your Routers (internal) ip address, which should match the address scheme on your network (general info as if you would not be able to browse if this were not so.)

next, once you've verified that information please open my computer on each. right click the C:\ drive or other folder (creating a new folder for this will also work if you do not wish to risk sharing your entire hard drive** recomended **)

once you right click the folder you wish to share - select properties and then the "shareing" tab at the top. check next to "Share this folder" and enter a name for the share (comment not required) leave the other settings default.

go back and check network places - if you do not see any changes and have completed this we'll look a step further. keep in mind i know you may have done all this, but one must never assume anything.

good luck,
Ken

**edit:
let's cover all the basics while we're at if ;) please open your web interface to the router and ensure that DHCP is enabled and please note (and post) your settings (if any) for static routing, port forwarding and if there is an option to designate the function of the unit as a "router" or "gateway"

further... in case you have done all this already (if not, please do that stuff first) you may try combinations of pc's using only 2 at a time.
example

[1][2][3][4] [wan] ports
A .......B

then

[1][2][3][4] [wan] ports
.....C........D

by putting two pc's in ports not adjacent to each other you may discover that your router just doesn't like having them plugged in next to each other (seen this on a couple of DLinks before ;) ;)

To All: Thanks for your suggestions; however, nothing fixed the problem and with the lack of technical support from D-Link I returned the D-Link router and purhased a Belkin. It works great! Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom