wireless router channel change

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
how do i change the channel on my linksys wireless router? it is a linksys wrt54g.

you must log in to your router settings.

open up firefox (or your favorite browser) and in the url bar type 192.168.1.1. Leave the username area blank and for the password type admin or your current password set up for the router.

once you are in the linksys router settings, click on the Wireless option at the top. There should be a Wireless Channel combo box. **That is where you change your wireless router channels.

thanks, i couldn't get on line with my pc with the wireless card about 6 months ago and i tried everything, with advice from everybody. finally after 3 days of pulling my hair out a guy said try changing the channel and it worked. well i had the same problem recently but it won't stay off line. will work perfectly for 3 or 4 days and then just get knocked of line for no apparent reason. i forgot how to change the channel on the router. when i got your e-mail i was in one of those of line times. i changed the channel, backto the original channel and it hooked right back up. whats the best and safest channel? i don't really understand how that works. please tell me what you can to stay on line consistantly. thanks

robert

How far away is your computer from your router? The maximum distance reported is 125 feet but I would recommend staying within 50 feet. If the connection has to go through walls, its going to degrade. I also recommend upgrading the firmware on your router and the firmware on your card. But the channels I recommend are 6 and 11. If you have any cordless phones running at 2.4ghz it may interfere with your router. With that in mind I would stick to channel 11.

only about 15ft. at most but through a wall. channel was set originally on 11, and was fine for months then i had the connection problem i couldn't figure out. i changed it to 6 and all was fine for a few months until recently. changed back to 11 and now it hooked right back up. my question is why does it work good on one channel for a while and then need to go back to the other one to work?

there may be something interfering with both channels. Have you upgraded your firmware on the router?

Definately sounds like you are getting interferance, is you router with in 3 feet of any other RF producing and recieving devices, other than a computer?

go to the Linksys website or you could log on to the router, and you should have an option in the firmware section to check and see if there any updates... hope that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom