Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
ive got 3 comps:-

my main one,

my old one which is now in bros room

and my very old 400mhz one.

but i gettin a laptop in afew months

and wanted it to be wireless to a network of these 3comps. i can connect my main comp to my slow one no problem cos i wanna use that as a server, but the other one in my bros room im not allowd to put a cable in so was gonna connect usin wireless g. but ppl i no have told me not to cos it is rubbish, ie mobile signal slows it down and stuff like that. was just wonderin if it worth usin the 400 as a server for my adsl connection or it be too slow to hold it. it ether that or get a wireless router :confused: what ppl think. thanks

I have a 802.11g wireless network and I don't have any problems at all.

I have my domain controller and 3 workstations accross my office (at home) and I use the wireless network for my laptop. I can logon to the domain without any problem and to this day, I haven't experienced any slowing of network speed.

I would go for it!!!

thanks alot, any recommendations for which access points and which swtich to go for and where its best to get them from?

There are so many out there, D-Link, Microsoft, Belkin, Linksys.

I have a Linksys, hasn't failed on me yet! (It is the router and the wireless access point)

ive got a dlink 802.11b, it flakes out on me sometimes, but its not terribly bad. i installed an SMC at a customers place and i really liked the interface on that one. seemed like it was pretty stable too. ive also played with a linksys and it seemed alright. I would suggest getting the card from the same manufacturer as the router though. avoids interoperability problems and some will go faster with proprietary cards too (my dlink gets 22mbs instead of 11 cause i have a dlink router and card)

im not gettin a notebook for afew months yet so just gonna connect the 2 comps together, can i do with just 2 network card or will i need a acess point or router or sumthing like that?

If you just want to connect the two computers together (network them) You might want to go ahead and get the WAP/Router. It will save you money in the long run AND will make networking your computers much easier.

The WAP/Routers usually have 4 ports on them, so you can network computers the old fashioned way... with good old RJ45 cabling. (J/K - I don't see RJ45 cabling going away for quite some time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom