Wireless N or G?

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi guys, long time no post.

I have just bought a new router than can broadcast wireless N. Basically im asking should i switch to use the N? Or stay with G.

Using G i can pick a channel that does not overlap with any of my neighbors routers. Using N as is broadcasts on two channels, it does overlap a little. Basically what Im asking is, should i run on N anyway?

Or is N only beneficial if streaming movies from a USB ready share device inserted in the router.

The reason i am investigating this is that every so often i have to disconnect from my wireless network and reconnect again for it to work. I wondered if i was having some channel conflict, as i have seen a neighbor recently install broadband so wondered if there router was messing with mine!

All the best,
Alex

Just a little update,

Even when i tell my router to broadcast on channel 1 and the full 300mbs (which i assume is the N mode) when i check the broadcast via inssider it says i am broadcasting on channel one AND 5??

Also when I click on my wifi adapter it says its transmitting at 150mbs, is this normal? even though i have selected 300?

Finally! When actually testing my wifi speed using a lan speed test, i get aroungd 7.5 Mbs for uploads and 22Mbs for download. When transferring a file to the inserted usb pen in the router (readyshare).....actually, now come tho think of it...is it actually the speed of the USB pen limiting it and not the actual wireless.... In that case, does anyone have a test to ensure my Wifi is working at the appropriate speed?!

Cheers once again

Alex

Hiya alex_boothby

G is slower then N , G is 54mps While N is 300mps but saying that (test and see what is best for you)

But you'll never get the max rated speed on either band. If you want to get past all the interferance go 5Ghz band. It's range is a little shorter but hardly any one's on it.

Cheers guys, Just ran a few tests. Getting hardly better speeds on N. But the having to disconnect and reconnect does seem to be better. Unfortunately I dont think my router/laptop support the 5ghz band. I really should just use my homeplugs, bu ther such a pain in the ass to keep plugging in.....

I had the same problem with my laptop. The problem here is not the router but your laptop.

I think you may be right. You think its hardware or software related. Finger crossed not hardware....canny afford no new laptop!

I am thinking this is software related issue. I have both ubuntu and windows 7 installed on my computer and on ubuntu rarelly fails. On windows what I do is to disable the wireless adapter and enable it back again.

What laptop do you have?

Same as what I have to do then.

I've got a Samsung R580 JS04UK, running Win 8. Maybe I should try re installing the drivers. Samsung website is awful though, I can only download drivers for a different specific model from the Australian site!!

Back
Top Bottom