Wireless monitor for a Desktop PC

Zenith

Baseband Member
Hello,

I am building a new pc that I would like to configure to run a virtual machine, such that both my parents and I can use it at the same time. The trick is that one of the monitors needs to be connected via a wireless connection.
What would be the best (preferably cheap but also good connection) way to make a wireless pc-monitor connection? If you suggest a specific monitor with a built-in wireless capability, please keep in mind that it would need at least 1 usb for the keyboard and mouse (unified receiver can be used).
What I've already noticed:
- A poorly reviewed Netgear adapter with HDMI connectivity, but it seems to be for connecting computer to HDTV (would that work w/ regular LED monitor?)
- A fairly expensive (~$167) Trulink VGA-USB wireless adapter which claims ~30' line of sight connection. Not too thrilled about the VGA part, as I'm guessing this might limit picture quality in some cases.

Also, I don't have a video card planned so far as I don't plan on much gaming, and intel HD 4000 seems to be better than most cheap gpu units. Would I need to get a gpu for dual monitors though?

System specifications:
cpu: i7-3770k
mobo: asus p8z77-v pro/thunderbold (HDMI, VGA and DVI)
ram: 16Gb 1600mhz corsais vengeance

Thanks for reading.

Google for Intel's WiDi ... may be of help :)

Thanks for your reply.

From what I've heard, it usually works on laptops and must be both factory preinstalled and unlocked to work, and I have a custom desktop build. Also people seem to report range issues around 10 ft, even with line of sight (I am hoping to have the pc on the second floor and the monitor on the first). Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would be happy to go with a simple solution.

Hold up. Are you talking about having two independent sessions running on the computer without using a thin client for the second one? This isn't normally possible unless you're running multipoint server or linux.

It's probably going to be easier and cheaper to just have separate computers. If you really need to both have access to the same system for whatever reason, a virtual machine + VNC might work, but you'll still need at least a lower end computer/thin client on the other end.

Last edited:
Isn't the point of a virtual machine to serve as a thin client? Win 8 pro has Hyper-v which should let me set one up.

The only real cost is setting up a wireless station (monitor w/mouse and keyboard). The worst that could happen is the resources of the computer being split when two sessions are running at the same time. If run separately, which should be the case most of the time, it's like having two separately located computers for the price of one (+wireless monitor).

If resource splitting turns out to be a problem, I'll get another desktop. But in the meantime it seems like it's much cheaper to have one with a virtual machine.

I suppose it's possible in theory on a normal desktop OS, but that's not normally how they're used. I suggest confirming that you can make it work with a TV as the second monitor before dropping money on new hardware. You're probably going to have issues keeping all the I/O completely divided between the two sessions without doing something weird.

If you're a student or have access to a .edu email, you may want to try to acquire a copy of microsoft multipoint server on the student discount. It's designed to natively run multiple sessions, with or without separate machines acting as clients.

As far as setting up a wireless desktop, I'm not really sure. I looked into this a while back and found that everything available sucked. I'd suggest just putting some cables in the wall. It's normally not too difficult, and you'll have way less headaches from connection issues.

Last edited:
I've heard of people running a vm on a second monitor. Naturally I'd try it before actually buying the wireless setup, but it should work.

I do have .edu, I'll look into that if hyper-v doesn't cut it.

Cables in walls is actually pretty awkward, I'd rather set up signal boosters in direct line of sight or something of the sort.
Thanks for your help so far.

Back
Top Bottom