Wireless Linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmeraldBreast

Beta member
Okay here's the deal. My next-door neighbour has an open wireless network with broadband that I can access from my house.
However I only have one computer with a wireless NIC.
I also have a wireless router.

I would like to somehow serve this broadband to my entire network, and I had a couple of ideas for how to do this, but I don't know how to implement either.

I don't seriously plan on leeching internet off my neighbour but I am trying to do this to increase my knowledge of wireless networks.

I thought if I could somehow connect the one computer with a wireless NIC to both this external network and my own wireless router and then set it so that all other computers on my network can access the other network then it would do it, but I don't know how to do this. From my google attempts I have gathered that it is possible, but I didn't understand what the thread that I found was telling me to do.
(I know I could physically connect the WNIC computer to my router to do this, but what would that teach me? and besides I can't find a spare network cable).

The other idea I had (and this probably has a simple yes or know answer) was that maybe I could somehow give my wireless router the details of the other network and then it could connect to the network. This would obviously be better solution but I doubt it's possible.

I am running WinXP on every machine and my wireless router is the Actiontec 54mbps - Model: GT704-WR.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks.
Robin.

OK do you have a wired ethernet port as well? If you do, connect that to the WAN port of your wireless router, and then set your router and PC to have static IP addresses. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on your PC or something, to share the wireless connection. Not entirely sure on this.

EmeraldBreast said:
(I know I could physically connect the WNIC computer to my router to do this, but what would that teach me? and besides I can't find a spare network cable)

Isn't this just what you're suggesting? I know this is a simple solution, but I would like to know if the others are possible.

Thanks anyway.

Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom