Wireless Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcEAgEKiLLeR

Baseband Member
Dell Dimension E510 Series-Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System -Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Memory-2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x1GB)
Keyboard -Dell Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Monitor -17 inch Ultrasharp™ 1707FP Digital Flat Panel
Video Card-256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
Hard Drive -80GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache
Network Card-Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
Modem-56K PCI Data Fax Modem

These are my comp specs. What would I have to buy to get wireless internet? Only a router or both a router and an adapter.

This is the router I am interested in:
Router.

That would be equal but better since it's just "plug and play". Easier to install but I usually don't rely on USB device especially when it comes to networking. It's up to you, and yes you need both the router and adapter.

Wired LAN is better for everything except convenient and extra cost on wires; wireless connection canÂ’t compare that well to a wired connection especially during intensive bandwidth usage like gaming or downloading. Wireless connections are suited for interference, with the current specification 2.4 GHz, any device that operate within this frequency tend to interfere with 802.11b/g device.

The cheap one you just listed doesn't support the current WPA-PSK encryption algorithm which was introduce to replace WEP weak algorithm method that was easily cracked. The price usually dictates rather the device support certain feature, I would assume the more expensive one has better and updated feature for security.

The adapter you just listed will work, but I only see that it supports WEP 128bit, look for one that will support WPA or maybe WPA2 for better security.

LAN connections are usually set at 100Mbps am I correct? So wireless would only have a much smaller bandwidth size to deal with. Once the bandwidth gets eaten up, how slow would the wireless get?

So if no other router around runs on 2.4 GHz, the interference would be minimum

If this connection was used solely for research, email checking, and web site browsing, wouldn't this connection be better for the computer use than the LAN connections?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Would the router have to be a certain distance from the computer to work? I.E. if it was directly next to the computer, would it work fine?

10/100Mbps is the current and average speed of today's home network. There are of course 1000Mbps LAN speeds.

108Mbps is faster than the current wired speed and twice as fast as the current 802.11g spec which is at 54Mbps.

But in a wireless connection you are sharing the bandwidth, not like a wired connection on a switch where all computers have their own 100Mbps bandwidth. On a wireless connection it's like being connected to a hub, that 108Mbps is split up depending on how many wireless device shares your connection.

If it was solely use just for browsing the web or checking email, I would say it would be OK. Usually itÂ’s the distance that cause disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom