wireless internet vs non wired internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

salami1212

Baseband Member
which one is better/.. bearing in mind i hav 3 computers.. which would be better.. also. say if i got a wireless connection with a router etc, would i have to open ports and things because in my old router it blocked all multiplayer games and i hated that

just get a 5 post linksys switch/router. Use the wired version it saves a ton of config time and you don't have to worry about ppl stealing bandwidth as you do with wireless.

not really, as long as the wireless adapters can connect to the router you should have no issues. You can set security options for the connection like a preshared key (like a password) make sure you change ssid too so you don't look like a noob :)

most implementations of wireless are slower than wired connections. A wired connection is typically configured at 100mb/s. Wireless connections come in two main flavors B & G. B operates at 11mb/s. G operates at 58mb/s. There are some routers that tout a wireless connection speed of 108 mb/s. I cannot remember how this type of connection works, however i have heard horror stories of their implementations.

your broadband connection prolly runs around 3mb-4mb per second downstream. So none of these are going to choke your inet access. However, if you want to move large files, such as movies, across your network, you'll want that 100 mb/s speed.

a router is an always on device, so as long as you dont unplug it there will be no boot time.

it should only be limited by your i-net connection. Most wireless router and cards are maxed at 54mb/s (I beleive that is correct can some one confirm that?) that is very fast by most standards. If you are in the same room, or very close to the router then it should be very quick. As you get further away and the signal strength drops your speed will decrease too. Also the signal cannot go through all objects so you may get interfearance. Those things are easliy overcome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom