wireless has waved bye bye

Looby

In Runtime
k i had a buffalo usb wireless card in my computer and it worked... k but you know that "Wireless Network Connections" little thing that finds wireless networks well... its not there... but the buffalo thing was running fine. i could get on the internet get on my home network no problem. ran fine for months. i just replaced it with a Netgear USB wireless thing and i need to find the wireless search tool... magigger... thing so i can get to the Internet... ideas? i have done everytthing i can think of set up wireless network wizard, wireless adapter shows up and is working fine (according to windows) in the device manager... idk im stumped.

Computer
Gateway 500L(something like that)
Gateway El Paso 2 Mobo
P4 1.6 Ghz socket 478
512 MB RAM
160 GB HDD
XP Home

easy.
uninstall the buffalo stuff
then go to start>run>and type "msconfig" without the quotes
then go to services, and go right to the bottom and tick "wireless zero configuration".
then go to start>run>and type "services.msc" without the quotes. go down to the same wireless zero configuration thing as above. double click it, and make sure its set to automatic, and is started.

then it should work fine :)
hope that helped

yeah it still is not there... "wireless zero configuration" is ticked and it says its automatic and started in "services.msc"

i installed the netgear software that came with the adapter and it works with that but i dont want to use it because its really buggy... has crashed 2 other machines.... the netgear software gives me the option of using the windows wireless thing but when i selected that option at install nothing happened... i had to unistall and reinstall because netgear said i had to uncheck the option in the windows wireless settings and i cant access that...

a friend said it might me something about admin privileges but i am 1 and only computer admin

this sounds messed up. you could try installing the buffalo thing again and setting it to use the wireless zero. although my method should have worked. i dont really know what else you can try, apart from the above, and them removing both the buffalo and netgear software.

see thats the weird thing i did NOT install the buffalo software when i was using that card... it somehow found the windows wireless config thing and used it... so its there i just cant find it...

idk i appreciate your help though.

if anyone else reads this and has any suggestions (other than format plz i dont have the time lol) please feel free to suggest.

yea no probs, i was just convinced my method would work, as afaik thats all there is to it. this seems wierd. ill keep thinking of ideas though

Back
Top Bottom