wireless drivers don't work

Fully Optimized
As the title implies, I needed my driver for my wireless adapter but the driver I the CD came with was designed for XP. But the drivers I downloaded specifically for vista asks me to install in XP. But when I try to install in Vista, it asks me if would like to unzip the .exe driver installer. Has anyone here had a similar problem with installing downloaded drivers? If you have, is there anything I can do to get rid if this problem?

It's the same file as the other ones available. It shows as an exe file in XP but as a zip file in vista and it will bring up two smaller files, neither of which are install files. I don't know what to do.

Have you tried installing them through your device manager?

Go to Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager find your wireless adapter and right click it and choose update driver. Then when it asks if you would like to choose where to look for the driver click browse and browse to the folder.

cool. I will try that. Thanks.

Well, it would not find the installer file. I am totally stuck.

Extracting the files with WinRAR/Zip shows the 2 files are .inf and .sys files, which should be what you need to install it. Try following these steps:

1. Download file, Unzip the contents to a folder (default C:\Linksys Driver)
2. Open Device Manager, right click the device and click "Update Driver Software"
3. In the box that comes up, select "Browse my computer for driver software"
4. Click browse and navigate to the folder which you extracted the files in Step 1.
5. Click OK and Next, and it should install the correct drivers, finish that and reboot. Then give it a go and let us know how you go :)

Hope it helps!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom