Wireless Connection Setup

punched

Solid State Member
Okay... Im at completle loss about this.. My damn neighbor has been using my wireless and now im sick of it. How do i make it secure.. I try to set it up through the wireless connection setup and i make one but it dosent do anything... Im so confused and no one has been able to helo or give me a proper turtorial.. Can anyone help?

punched said:
Okay... Im at completle loss about this.. My damn neighbor has been using my wireless and now im sick of it. How do i make it secure.. I try to set it up through the wireless connection setup and i make one but it dosent do anything... Im so confused and no one has been able to helo or give me a proper turtorial.. Can anyone help?

First, what kind of router do you have?

Second, you need to find the IP address to log into your router's interface. Assuming you have Windows XP: What you would need to do here is go to START -> RUN Type in "CMD" in the box and click OK. A black box should come up. In this box you will already have a cursor blinking, just type in "IPCONFIG." You should see "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection"

Find your DEFAULT GATEWAY. When you obtain the Default Gateway, WRITE IT DOWN!! Now, surf to a regular internet explorer page and type the address into the address bar exactly how it shows it with the "dots." Press GO.

You should now be in the router's interface.

From here, you would need to find the privacy settings and turn them ON. Most router's today use WEP.

Either your neighbor hacked into it, or your router's privacy is completely wide open. That makes it easier for you to get online, but it also makes it easier for him/her to do the same.

You would need to set the router's privacy to WEP - Manual. Obtain the Encryption key and then you'd need to enter it into your own wireless connection. Don't forget to SAVE & Restart the router.

This is usually done by going to CONTROL PANEL -> NETWORK CONNECTIONS -> Right click on Wireless Connection. Select VIEW AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORKS. Then select your router. You should be able to identify it with the SSID (usually given on the same page as the encryption key in the router's interface). It will then prompt you for that 26-digit encryption key (or whatever else it's set on) and you should be able to log onto the internet, not your neighbor.

Any questions, email me.

Oaken007 said:
Now, surf to a regular internet explorer page and type the address into the address bar exactly how it shows it with the "dots." Press GO.

You should now be in the router's interface.

What if the router is password protected? That's the case with my router, and I can't remember what I set it to...

I go to the default gateway, but it says I need a password to access it...

What is the Model of Router? you might as well try reseting it to the default settings and start over. Linksys routers have the default password of admin I believe.

Back
Top Bottom