Wireless adapter issues with Ubuntu 13.0

kcrasch

Baseband Member
I can't seem to figure out how to install the drivers for an Edimax EW-7811Un on Ubuntu 13.0

Temporarily connecting the PC, via cable, to the internet is not possible.

Chipset/Specs for the machine are : Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast
Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0245]
Kernel driver in use: r8169

I'm Googled and Binged out. Maybe someone here knows of a direct site that I can go and download these drivers???

Thanks.

Some Googling suggests this adapter uses a Realtek chipset.

Realtek RTL8188CUS
as per: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Edimax_EW-7811Un

Unfortunately Realteks are one of the most problematic wireless chipsets I've used on any platform, Windows included. I used to have a burning hatred for Broadcom chips, but in recent years Broadcom has been doing a better job. Meanwhile Realtek is kind of out there doing its own thing. We have a few hundred Ubuntu laptops here at work with Realtek drivers, but we also had to compile a package and distribute that through our automated system so all of the laptops got the exact driver needed.

This isn't often the case with Realtek (more times than not these days, it's typically with Broadcom) you have to download a restricted (close source) driver via ethernet. So if you plug in an ethernet cable, you'll obtain internet access, and then you can open up the driver manager (Additional Drivers tab under Software Sources in Ubuntu 13.10) and effectively connect to the remote repository to download the driver in question. As I said, I have yet to recall a time where Realtek drivers were ever distributed in this manner, but it's just a thought.

It looks like they do list Linux as being supported, but you just might have to get nitty gritty with the terminal to make it work. Sadly, this is not a surprise from Realtek, as suggested above by what we had to do here at work.

For future reference, typically Intel chipsets are the best period, with Atheros being a close second in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom