Winter vehical..

sniperviper21

Golden Master
Ok...so heres my issue..

what would be better in a winter/snow/icey weather situation for overall ability.

F150 Vs Subaru STI

this is what i was thinking...

F150-----

winter tires, which ever you'd like, luggs even.
300lb of weight over the rear wheels
4x4 of course.
5.4L
Extra/crew cab.

STI-----
AWD with computer monitoring.
Studded winter tires
snow setting on the AWD dial.

pros/cons
Power = equal
Weight F150
ground clearance F150
Agility Subaru
Hauling/workhorse F150
Shamokin Fast Subaru
mpg Subaru

Ideas?

Guess it comes down to how often would you REALLY use a truck? I know a ton of people who say at first they'll use a truck, but really only use a bed and tow stuff once or twice a year, in which case it's cheaper to rent.

Winter roads don't require clearance, unless you're offroading.

Both have 4x4 or AWD, but the Sub has good weight distribution, not just 300 thrown in the bed to further decrease your mileage.

Plus, it's an STi.

I'd go STi hands down :D

yes, this is what i was thinking, plus a few friends have trucks that could haul the big junk and im sure a sti could tow a small trailer with an ATV or something. thats only like 900lbs or so.

2005 or newer.

but that wouldnt be a practical every day city/highway driver lol

if i could id do that and use it for a toy lol.

Why not? I drive my lifted Wrangler on 35s 80ish miles a day when I go to school which starts again Jan 5th.

If youre really worried about gas milage then you shouldnt consider a truck in the first place, if your not; Get it, lift it, and wheel it.

lol, i cant afford all that extra work for one.

but it would be considered.

though i do get about 3000 off new ford vehicles through work lol

If you are in the city, I would go with the Subaru personally. I much prefer driving in a WELL PLOWED city in the winter with my '03 FWD Saab than I do with my '99 RWD 4x4 Explorer. In my home town though (rural; crappy snow removal) I prefer trudging through the snow in the Explorer because it takes them forever to plow. The Saab still does okay, but there's lots of tire spin on fresh snow (as with most light FWD cars).

i see your point, but i am from a place in the snow belt in PA lol. average 4-5 feet a winter.

but only like 6 inchs in the city here.

i hear that STIs do amazing in snow.

I'd probably go STI. If you're a big fan of offroading, it's small size, speed, and agility will come in handy. Plus I just saw one go down my road, and it's tires weren't spinning at all going around tight corners, and accelerating through the turn. There's a pretty wicked snow storm going through right now, and the roads haven't been salted in three weeks here or plowed today at all. My F-150 could barely handle the short trip I just made. Of course, it's only RWD, and has no extra weight in the back, but it makes for fun moments in the snow.

I think I would go STI, but the choice is yours. My mind is telling me F-150 because I love Ford more than any automaker, but my smarts are telling me STI.

Oh, and Dude_56013, a few years back I had a '89 Saab. FWD. That thing would go anywhere, including up a steep hill in snow. :D I loved that car.

Back
Top Bottom