Windows XP

Actually....the machine has it's own type pc thing. Dee's sewing machine only needed a pc to install the software program onto a sd type of card. You then plugged that sd card into the machine. There is a separate oem box the holds a proprietary sd card with the pc connector that has a db9 port. That plugs into the laptop's db9 port and the software to design the pattern is on the laptop. Her software was not compatible with Windows 7 and this old laptop I gave here did have a db9 port. The software was originally for '98 but it did work with W2k on it.

Your Mom has what they call a Treadle sewing machine, the machine inside the box can be almost any brand but the majority are Singers. Many have been electrified with a small motor. We have one of those too, but I can't recall the brand name of the actual sewing machine that is in it and I'm not allowed to touch her machines...lol

Last edited:
Actually....the machine has it's own type pc thing. Dee's sewing machine only needed a pc to install the software program onto a sd type of card. You then plugged that sd card into the machine. There is a separate oem box the holds a proprietary sd card with the pc connector that has a db9 port. That plugs into the laptop's db9 port and the software to design the pattern is on the laptop. Her software was not compatible with Windows 7 and this old laptop I gave here did have a db9 port. The software was originally for '98 but it did work with W2k on it.

Your Mom has what they call a Treadle sewing machine, the machine inside the box can be almost any brand but the majority are Singers. Many have been electrified with a small motor. We have one of those too, but I can't recall the brand name of the actual sewing machine that is in it and I'm not allowed to touch her machines...lol
Ah so it essentially works like any of the other machines I listed, kinda cool. That means I could definitely service this kind of stuff if there are any of those type of clients in the DFW Metro area.

My mom hasn't had that thing in forever. She had a basic boxed sewing machine she used instead and so my dad sold it around 2003 since it was just wasting space at that point.

Mrs. C went to work so I can post a pic of our Treadle. She is into sewing as much if not more than I am into pc's. She has about 5 sewing machines. A 1920's portable she got from her dad that she still uses, the 1916 that she is cleaning up, the serger machine and her beloved Pfaff. I'll open up the treadle to see what machine is in that one and post a pic. I considered getting her a new one that's more up to date for the software but coughing up 5K for what she would consider a "good" sewing machine will have to wait. These things last for more than a life time... in fact good machines last for several generations. The old machines and quality machines are much better than the cheap machines you see on Amazon because because the machines you see advertised on Amazon are plastic...even the gears are plastic! Amazon does not sell good quality machines, you can only get these quality machines at those "sewing" type of stores and your not going to see those prices on line very easily. The high quality machines that you cough up bucks for are still made of cast iron and steel on the insides and they are heavy

Last edited:
This is Brenda's treadle sewing machine
front.jpg

It's called a "Vindex C" I dunno what that means in terms of value......

open.jpg

Last edited:
Even SP3 has issues with newer wireless setups.

Huh, I just looked through 2 pages of sewing machines on Amazon and saw only one with a screen. This must be an industrial vs home use scenario.
SP3 may have trouble with newer setups but the point is that the OP should ensure they have SP3 on the machine to even stand a chance of connecting.

Whilst we are on the subject of off topic, to an extent. I have just downloaded the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft to reinstall my laptop. This is a Toshiba laptop that hasn't had any problems in the past with clean installs using the MS ISO but using the newest version it will not pick up the fact that this lappy has bluetooth. Consequently it doesn't install any drivers. The Tosh website is a nightmare although I would be able to get them from there if I could be bothered. Windows driver search does nothing. I installed an older version of Win 10 (1803) and BOOM everything is there. Microsoft cocks up AGAIN, just have to bite the bullet with mega updates I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies, I did think it may have been the wireless adapter and was going to buy a USB one but from what you have said it is an XP issue.

I do have windows 10 that I could install but I suspect this could be too much for such an old laptop and would require hardware upgrades...

Whilst we are on the subject of off topic, to an extent. I have just downloaded the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft to reinstall my laptop. This is a Toshiba laptop that hasn't had any problems in the past with clean installs using the MS ISO but using the newest version it will not pick up the fact that this lappy has bluetooth. Consequently it doesn't install any drivers. The Tosh website is a nightmare although I would be able to get them from there if I could be bothered. Windows driver search does nothing. I installed an older version of Win 10 (1803) and BOOM everything is there. Microsoft cocks up AGAIN, just have to bite the bullet with mega updates I suppose.
I have Windows 10 on my main laptop and it has slowed it right down when it comes to going online. YouTube videos buffer constantly for example. It’s not my internet connection as I can stream Netflix etc on my phone etc with no issues. Not sure what the solution is.

I have Windows 10 on my main laptop and it has slowed it right down when it comes to going online. YouTube videos buffer constantly for example. It’s not my internet connection as I can stream Netflix etc on my phone etc with no issues. Not sure what the solution is.
I have noticed that YouTube vids are pretty awful at the moment. I think there is a problem with YouTube rather than it having anything to do with Windows.

I have just installed Win 10 32 bit on an old old netbook that I have. It is an Emachines with an Atom processor and 2 gig of RAM. It is a tad slow but it does work.

2004 and 20H2 have both been delayed for certain devices because of Bluetooth, it's very well documented. Considering this is a laptop the chances of it having an Intel wireless adapter is high. If it does Bluetooth is integrated and you can simply get the driver from the Intel website.
You'd be surprised, if drivers can be found for the hardware it might run ok. What is the hardware in it?
I have noticed that YouTube vids are pretty awful at the moment. I think there is a problem with YouTube rather than it having anything to do with Windows.

I have just installed Win 10 32 bit on an old old netbook that I have. It is an Emachines with an Atom processor and 2 gig of RAM. It is a tad slow but it does work.
It's not a Youtube problem, it's a hardware issue. Once you go low enough on the hardware bracket they simply don't support or can't handle the hardware acceleration of Youtube videos and other HTML5 product.

Back
Top Bottom