Windows XP

jumbo_jet

Beta member
Hello,

My computer (Pentium 4, 2.4 ghz, 80 gb drive, 256mb mem) has been taking about a minute to load Windows XP. By that I mean, the screen where it shows "Windows XP" and the blue bar indicating it's loading will remain on my screen for anywhere between 1-1.5 minutes. I am concerned because my other computer (Pentium 2, 300mhz, 8gb hard drive, 64mb mem) takes the same amount of time to load. I have noticed that my computer has been running its processes a bit slower now. For example, when I am playing a song on my Windows Media Player, and attempt to open up something as simple as Internet Explorer, I will hear distortion in the media file, similar to if someone where playing the song in slow motion. After the program has finished loading, the song will play normally. What could be wrong with my computer? I run spyware and virus scans often, so I'm wondering why it's loading so slow. If someone could help that would be great! Thanks!

try defragging, and go to tools> internet options> delete cookies> delete temp. intenet files... it could maybe a ram problem too because 256mb isnt enough these days.

If you haven't reformated in a while (or not at all lol) I would recomment reformatting, There's probably just loads of prog. cluttering up your computer

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I was thinking about getting more ram. I defrag and also run disk cleanups as well a few times every two weeks. Today, the computer took a really long time to load that I just gave up and turned off the computer. Any other things I could do?

jumbo_jet said:
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I was thinking about getting more ram. I defrag and also run disk cleanups as well a few times every two weeks. Today, the computer took a really long time to load that I just gave up and turned off the computer. Any other things I could do?

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and se how many programs start up simultanisly, if its a lot and you wanna stop that, Run MSConfig and check of what you don't want being started. But i would also recommend updating Ram. I would upgrade to a dual 256 X2 upgrade. If your MoBo can't do that for some reason, buy a stick of 512 Ram. But this is weird, i have besides my main computer, a Dell with 1.8ghz, 256 ram and a 80gb HD that runs windows just fin and doesn't do what you say. How old is this computer

Back
Top Bottom