windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobr497

Baseband Member
I am wanting to install windows xp, but I was wondering if I do will I lose all the stuff I have on win 98?Like all the stuff I have downloaded,such as quicktime, winzip, etc..And if I install it and I can't get it to work how do I go back to win 98?As you have probably noticed I am a computer dummy.Any help is appreciated,THANKS

You can upgrade from windows 98 to XP and not lose your files, just chose upgrade from the install menu.

Getting back to windows 98, without losing your files...... thats a bit tricky, it might just be better to "Dual Boot" 98 and XP, so you can use whichever one you want.

You will need to get a program like Partition Magic in order to make 2 partitions without losing data, basically you are going to resize you normal partition and make it maybe 3 or more gigs smaller, then create a new FAT32 partition and have it save the changes.

When you install XP, do a NEW INSTALL, and tell it to install to the second partition. When it finishes you should get a screen for a few seconds asking you which operating system you want to load. This will come up every time you boot.

Enjoy XP, it is a BIG improvement on 98.

that sounds great! i have win98se and i would like to have xp but i dont wont to give up 98se cause i have files on it that i run that alot of ppl say they have problems with on xp, so if i had both i could put on xp step at a time , if it didnt work i always got 98se to go back to. is this hard to do €cniv? i have 13 gig hd.
512 sdram
geforce 2 32 meg
p3
dsl :D

nope not hard at all, just follow the steps I outlined in the last post, and youll be dual booting in no time.

ok thanx , after i do this will it make either or , run slower? i like pc gaming and im curious if it will affect speed?
i mean i have 13 gig, will it cut that in half? and cause some kind of lose? thanx :)

ok thanx , after i do this will it make either or , run slower? i like pc gaming and im curious if it will affect speed?
i mean i have 13 gig, will it cut that in half? and cause some kind of lose? thanx

when you use partition magic you can chose how much hard drive space you want to use for your windows XP drive,

Hard drive space has no effect on speed, unless you have almost none left, then it starts slowing down BAAAD, but if you have 13 gigs and you leave at least 500mb free on each partition, you will be fine.

ya, its just a software program that manages partitions, if you decide that XP isnt for you or something, you can just delete that partition, resize the windows 98 one back to the whole space of the drive, reboot, and then uninstall partition magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom