Windows XP won't load.

Will1

In Runtime
Hey cf,

So, as the title says just out of the blue my Windows xp home edition will not load the desktop, taskbar, etc, after the initial loading screen. The screen just appears black for an infinite amount of time. I have tried a few windows repair cmds and am able to access windows via safe mode and have tried a system restore but it changed nothing.

It is not the comp in my sig btw. It is a much older comp with an agp vid card (nvidia6200), which i suspect to be the problem.

Anyone know anything that I should check/try before I try a reformat which i would rather not do.

Thanks in advance.

Will

ok you suspect it to be the vide card yes ? i dont lol

you say there is still a picture but basicly explorer.exe wont load, so you have your desktop sitting there but no, icons / start menu bar yes ? thats a problem with explorer.exe

you say you can access it in safe mode, well go into safe mode and scan whateva you have, windows defender / anti virus / ad aware / ccleaner.

once you have done that, click start / run and type "msconfig" (without the quotes or this in the brackets :)
ok now click on the startup tab and trust me here disable all.

ok / apply that and reboot into normal mode, if that works and you notice something is missing in your startup, e.g msn messenger etc, goto msconfig and tick the little box again,

if that doesnt work do you have an XP disc ???? i would do a system repair,

ive come across this problem twice, once was a problem with explorer.exe and i had to repair windows XP.

and the second time it was alot of viruses. had to take there hardrive out of there comp bring it to my house, bung it in my computer boot mine into safe mood and scan the hardrive as a storage device.

if you have an XP disc and need a hand repairing post here and ill make a guide.

ha ha ha jus seen you say it appears black, and not the desktop, never mind jus do what i said anyway.

Back
Top Bottom