Windows XP User Account Issue

nslx

Beta member
Hi All,

On my current computer, running Windows XP Tablet addition, I am having issues.

Originally, there was one account set up, which was that of the Administrator (and called that).

Later on, a few weeks ago, two other accounts were set up. One is called Guest, which is not an Admin, and one called Vista (just a name), which is an Admin.

I want to delete both accounts and go back to just one, but I can't see the account titled Administrator. What I can do is go to My Computer > Documents & Settings and see files belonging to Administrator.

I thought it may have been deleted, so I tried to create a new one called Administrator, but its telling me it already exists. However, when I go into the Control Panel, all I can see is options to change the accounts titles Vista and Guest.

Can anyone help at all?

Many Thanks

hmm, im not sure how to help, but i know that the guest can be turned off, just go to control panel, then User Accounts, then i think theres like a home on top, and there should be an option to turn on and off the guest.
as to vista, maybe click on the account on user accounts when your logged into Administrator and try and delete the vista account.
i think those are the only ways to get back to one account.

Have you tried logging in under administrator?

Hi, thats half the problem. I can't see the administrator part on the welcome screen.

hmm, im not sure how to help, but i know that the guest can be turned off, just go to control panel, then User Accounts, then i think theres like a home on top, and there should be an option to turn on and off the guest.
as to vista, maybe click on the account on user accounts when your logged into Administrator and try and delete the vista account.
i think those are the only ways to get back to one account.

Thanks.

The problem, is actually logging in as Administrator, as I can't see it on the welcome screen, or in Log Off/Switch user.... So Administrator exists - I just can't get into it the 'standard' way

Oh, and I have turned Guest off. So when I go to Log In, or Switch user, all I see is Vista. Where as logic dictates that I should see Vista AND Administrator.

Hi, thats half the problem. I can't see the administrator part on the welcome screen.

Thanks.

The problem, is actually logging in as Administrator, as I can't see it on the welcome screen, or in Log Off/Switch user.... So Administrator exists - I just can't get into it the 'standard' way

Are you sure your account isn't the admin one?

i say go to the User Account settings on the control panel, and disable the Welcome screen thing, and log off.
when logged off, there should be a box, i think it says something like press CTRL-ALT-DEL to begin, and do that, and type Administrator as the username, then when logged in the Admin account, try deleting the Vista and turn off the guest on the User account setting in the control panel, then enable the welcome thing back, and see if you could see it anymore.
i cant really help much because i am at school with a mac....

if you get to the vista welcome screen press ctrl alt delete twice, this should bring up a manual log in box, in the username put in administrator and the enter your password

Thanks thats helped.

I am now in the Administroator.

What I want to do now is to make the Vista account limited, but the computer is refusing to do it, saying I need to make something else an admin..... which is silly, as the Administrsator is an admin, can anyone help on this one?

Cheers

The other thing, is that when I click on Administrator, it tells me that it will be only visible on the welcome screen when no other accounts exist, exept guest... How can I change this so it will display normally, and so I can delete all other accounts?

Also, can I delete a guest account, it doesn't seem to want to let me?

you dont delete the guest account you disable it, and you do have to have another account as an admin, other than the main admin,

Thanks, thats annoying.....

Does anyone know of a way to log the Admin in as Default, without a welcome screen?

When the computer was first installed I never had this issue. Vista didn't exist, and Guest was (presumably) disabled.

Back
Top Bottom