Windows XP stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would that work when it says while trying to start with an Upgrade that you NEED the full version? :p

As i said, you pull the ghost image off of your working XP machine... then if you run Repair OS it will ask you for a new keycode, at which point you go and call M$ and they give you one (usually)

As Mak said, this would be a licensing violation unless you had a mass volume license like corporations and schools have. But speaking on a strictly "functionality" standpoint, it STILL wouldn't work unless all of the hardware in the computer is identical. I.E., if old PC is a Dell Optiplex GX150, where the new PC is an HP dc5850, I'll bet my car that you would get a BSOD upon firing up the newly imaged computer.

I doubt it. It doesn't hurt anything to have unused drivers installed. With a clean install, you have lots of unused default drivers installed. It just wouldn't use the old drivers, and when it detects the new hardware, it would default to the generic drivers for the hardware until the right ones are installed.

It would be no different than if you shut your computer down, upgraded a bunch of your hardware and booted back up. I've done that many times, and it works just fine.

I doubt it. It doesn't hurt anything to have unused drivers installed. With a clean install, you have lots of unused default drivers installed. It just wouldn't use the old drivers, and when it detects the new hardware, it would default to the generic drivers for the hardware until the right ones are installed.

It would be no different than if you shut your computer down, upgraded a bunch of your hardware and booted back up. I've done that many times, and it works just fine.

It depends on how different the architecture of the mobo is. Something to do with the Hardware Abstraction Layer or something like that blah blah blah - highly technical stuff.

Anyways, if you do get boot problems after ghosting/cloning one computer to another (like from a dell to off brand or vice versa) just put in the XP disk and run repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom