Windows XP SP2

Xinam

In Runtime
Messages
334
Location
UK
Apparently coming in the summer, and will be the last major windows update until Longhorn in 2006...

Features:
IE is finally getting pop-up blocking and there'll be an improved firewall, will support the Bluetooth wireless standard; DirectX 9.0b; Windows Media Player 9 Series; and unified wireless local-area network client, enhanced file attachment handling in Outlook Express and Windows Messenger: Outlook Express will no longer download external content (such as graphics) in HTML mail by default.

Screenshots: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview.asp

I read somewhere that it's gonna be 222mb?! That can't be true, surely! If so, that's one huge update!
 

Iowa

Fully Optimized
Messages
3,121
Xinam said:
Apparently coming in the summer, and will be the last major windows update until Longhorn in 2006...

Features:
IE is finally getting pop-up blocking and there'll be an improved firewall, will support the Bluetooth wireless standard; DirectX 9.0b; Windows Media Player 9 Series; and unified wireless local-area network client, enhanced file attachment handling in Outlook Express and Windows Messenger: Outlook Express will no longer download external content (such as graphics) in HTML mail by default.

Screenshots: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_sp2_preview.asp

I read somewhere that it's gonna be 222mb?! That can't be true, surely! If so, that's one huge update!

The only thing that worries me about the whole part is the Pop Up Blocking with IE 6.05, i mean, alot of Windows users are going to buy this for sure. Along with Pop Up Blocking with Mozilla (doesnt Opera do pop up blocking too? Not sure) it seems Pop Ups are gonna see there death. Dont get me wrong, i loathe Pop Ups, but all those companies that rely on Pop Ups, might aswell give them up due to the amount of Anti Pop Up Browsers there are. This means companies are gonna lose money, and some may even go bankrupt. (Say a company gets payed for putting Pop Ups on its site, and they do that so much money per click thing). Of course, your always gonna get banners along tops of pages (like here), but alot of companies rely on Pop Ups to get a reasonable income of money.

Just my thoughts.

- Rocker -
 

David Lindon

Golden Master
Messages
15,233
Opera blocks popups too. Yeah, it will put companies out of business that rely on the popups for their business. Just because some people abuse them like porn and crap etc.
 

Xinam

In Runtime
Messages
334
Location
UK
Rocker said:
alot of companies rely on Pop Ups to get a reasonable income of money

Yeah, I can see that side of it, and I suppose this is one of the reasons why the default setting for the pop-up blocker in IE 6.05 will be 'off'. Opera does have one, I think, not sure really, since my firewall blocks all pop-ups anyway...
 

Iowa

Fully Optimized
Messages
3,121
Xinam said:
Yeah, I can see that side of it, and I suppose this is one of the reasons why the default setting for the pop-up blocker in IE 6.05 will be 'off'. Opera does have one, I think, not sure really, since my firewall blocks all pop-ups anyway...

There ya go - another Anti Pop Up peice of Software (Xinam - dont think im blaming you or anything, just using as an example :)). People have Mozilla, Opera, Pop Up Blocker programs, Firewalls, and now even the main Web browser is turning into a Pop Up Blocker. Only users that use earlier versions of IE will be effected, which isnt a large number when you consider the amount of users (such as myself) who use Mozilla and Opera. Take 50megs for example - anyone who wants free hosting gets one of those Pop Ups. The only other thing you get is a banner at the top of the site. They might aswell take down the Pop Ups. But that may cause more banners on pages. I hope you see my point ....
 

Xinam

In Runtime
Messages
334
Location
UK
Rocker said:
There ya go - another Anti Pop Up peice of Software (Xinam - dont think im blaming you or anything, just using as an example :)). People have Mozilla, Opera, Pop Up Blocker programs, Firewalls, and now even the main Web browser is turning into a Pop Up Blocker. Only users that use earlier versions of IE will be effected, which isnt a large number when you consider the amount of users (such as myself) who use Mozilla and Opera. Take 50megs for example - anyone who wants free hosting gets one of those Pop Ups. The only other thing you get is a banner at the top of the site. They might aswell take down the Pop Ups. But that may cause more banners on pages. I hope you see my point ....

I do, and I agree with it... but it's swings and roundabouts I suppose... we all hate pop-ups, yet some services on the net rely on them.

David Lindon said:
Yeah, it will possibly kill free hosting. Forcing them to run huge banners or something.

An intersting side-effect. Personally, I think it'll be a sad day if free hosting ceases to exist. I used to use a free host, and they provided a very good service.

I wonder just how many sites out there use free hosting and would be affected... quite a few i'd say?
 
Top