Windows XP SP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeus68

Solid State Member
I have tried to install the windows XP service pack 1 and I got an error message saying that the product key I used on installation was not valid. Is there a way to get this update working? Naturally I did not buy the windows XP copy. I have the same problem with office update. Every time it tries to update office XP it stops with an error and I have found out that the versions of all .exe files are 10.0.0 which according to microsoft is not supported version. Whatever that means. Some help please since I know there are millions out there with copies of windows XP

I've just been reading about SP1, and it seems that they're on to you. Apparently most of the illegal copies of XP have the same product key. With SP1, MS has excluded that key from being able to update.

But, there is a site that showed a work-around. Since I don't condone pirating software, I won't tell you the site, but it didn't take much for me to find it. Google is the best site out there.

Along with the ever-so-popular Devilsown ISO FCKGW key, here are the list of keys which are blocked by SP1:

BX6HT MDJKW H2J4X BX67W TVVFG
CDWVP GBJRG PDJRG YGCMB HCGG3
RK7J8 2PGYQ P47VV V6PMB F6XPQ
RBDC9 VTRC8 D7972 J97JY PRVMG
RJPBQ 76B6V HDFJY 3BRR3 9DBXW
E7G7A XEM0Q SD1FW E15S7 BELMN
TFCKG MY9T6 9DWY2 9WB3B G8Q7D
JJWKH 7M9R8 26VM4 FX8CC GDPD8
KR2X8 M8MGV FQBRR 322YQ QPM2Y
BXCTM R899Y QH8H8 26PXH BMC7B
BQJG2 2MJT7 H7F6K XW98B 4HQRQ
CMGRR XCBMG 4P8TB DR9FW 62PFB
HMTWJ VPPWP 9BXP8 WD73Y GGT6M
KWQ2C 4GPMH FTRMR 7JQGD 688TT
DMGW7 3XBTD 3VV7C 83RQD KHX66
M9W3X RJD63 2WFRH 72X6G HXD36

WinBeta does have some info on the workaround on changing your CD-key, but this is as far as I'll go. :)

I have managed to find some info on how to change the product key by editing a setting on the registry and running C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to change the key. I have managed to obtain a valid key from a proper copy of windows xp but it did not work. I still get a message of invalid product key

Thanks all sorted OK. Actually I have found a program that does all this for you.

is it the one that checks for valid cd keys, and says it can find a valid key every x amount of mins.

I'll stick with Win2K for now... chances are you have a chance of being tracked by M$ even for installing a legal key over a non-legit copy. (for those with questionable serial numbers)

But I think there is a workaround for this, to fix a huge security issue with XP: Do a search on the file 'uplddrvinfo.htm' (located in the \WINDOWS\PC Health folder) and either rename the file name/extension or delete it. Though it's not completely foolproof, it's a step for people who can't have access to a service pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom