Windows XP Restore Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sripeter

Solid State Member
My copy of XP frequently fails to implement System Restore points. I've re-installed XP, checked that System Restore is working, ie c-drive monitoring, 12% space allocated (9422MB). Ive then put a number of test Restore Points into the system and tried to restore back, but I keep on receiving 'restoration incomplete, please try another restoration point' error message. The copy of XP that I am using appears to be genuine, ie holograms on the disc, part # X10-59871 and a 16 digit serial number that is acceptable by Microsoft. It was purchased off the net from a reputable seller and is an OEM copy, so I'm not sure of its actual age. I'm thinking it could be an early version of XP that contained a number of bugs, but have no way of determining this. Can anyone help please.

Have you installed the service packs and are there any errors in eventviewer?

Windows XP Restore Point

Service Pack 2 in place and nothing flagged up in the Event Log.

Do I reinstall system restore from the XP CD. I've already disabled restore monitoring to flush out previous restore points, and re-started system restore, but the problem remains.

Reinstalling System Restore
Click Start, Run and type %Windir%\INF
Locate the SR.INF file. The file may be shown as SR, if you have configured Windows Explorer to hide known file extensions. To see the file extensions for all file types, then try this:
On the Tools menu in My Computer, click Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
Right-click the SR.INF file, and then click Install
Windows will now attempt to reinstall System Restore, and may prompt you for the Windows installation source path. Point to %Windir%\ServicePackFiles folder, or insert your slipstreamed Windows XP (matching the Service Pack level of your system.)
System Restore core files will be reinstalled. Restart Windows when prompted.

EricB, that's true but won't reinstalling system restore as Warez Monster suggested and then creating a new restore point work from that point on with the new restore point? Thanks.

Aspirin said:
EricB, that's true but won't reinstalling system restore as Warez Monster suggested and then creating a new restore point work from that point on with the new restore point? Thanks.

yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom