Windows XP pro CD key gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Z-

Baseband Member
Last year i had a crappy computer that i upgraded to XP pro in a computer store(ran out of
business few months after) they did not give me the product key with the computer and there was no sticker on the computer. Now a year after im trying to get XP pro but don't want to buy another copy, I want to get the CD key from the computer that was upgraded but that computer's cpu got damaged so i put in the newer cpu and motherboard, but now the computer won't boot up. I no that the XP cd key is still in the hard drive but is there any way of getting it bak?

Search these forums for it. There is a program that you can download which tells you.

ok if its saved like a data file or something that u specificly put there u can get it back PROBABLY just put the hard drive that doesnt work into another computer and see what u can get abck or even u can reformat and get a program called getdata back and it might be there also. but put into another pc and see what happens

You need to get the compute to boot up first., but belarc might just work. To get it to boot up, you would need identical motherboard/processor. Without those, the hard disk will NEVER boot up unless you buy a new os.

Roger

You'll need to boot this HD as a slave in your system. However, since you lack the cd key to boot....yikes.......Do you have an older OS? You can retrive it by loading an older OS an another HD and then use the above software to retrieve the CD key when the drive is used as a slave...or take out the HD and set it as a slave and take it to a friend with a puter and get them to download the key retrieval software and extract it there. Otherwise you'll be making a contribution to Microsoft :(

-Z- said:
Last year i had a crappy computer that i upgraded to XP pro in a computer store(ran out of business few months after) they did not give me the product key with the computer and there was no sticker on the computer.
Next time you buy from a mom'n'pop shop, make sure you have everything before you leave. Since you do not have your key, which would be included with your license and disks, you now have a machine with an illegal OS on it.

-Z- said:
Now a year after im trying to get XP pro but don't want to buy another copy, I want to get the CD key from the computer that was upgraded but that computer's cpu got damaged so i put in the newer cpu and motherboard, but now the computer won't boot up. I no that the XP cd key is still in the hard drive but is there any way of getting it bak?
Your processor and motherboard have nothing to do with Windows. If your machine won't boot, you must get it to boot before you can address this problem.

Since you have no CD, no license, and no product key, you can't go to Microsoft for help with that. You can try to file under their illegal distribution service, which gives you the chance to state your case concerning not being given a legal XP distribution from a merchant.

Either way, you have to get your system to boot-up first. Then you can come back and we'll help you address the other problem...perhaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom