Windows XP memory problem

Kage

Golden Master
Hey, any help will be appreciated.

Right, I have 2GB's of RAM, and as you know, if you've looked in the Media section, I am doing some 3D modelling work.

Now, I'm really hitting a wall, and I think its due to the RAM.

When rendering now, I get Memory Exception Errors, or crashes to the desktop with no warning. I think this is due to the amount of polygons in the models now, and it is seriously starting to worry me. With less detailed models, or with only one model in the scene, the program has no problems.

I only have a 32bit Windows XP though, and to get it to work, would have to add more RAM.

If I did buy another 2GB's, Windows XP would only see 3GB of it right?

But, I heard that programs would still only use 2 because of a limit? :(

I have looked up about a /3GB switch also, but this seems to have dramastic problems with other parts of the system, and doesn't infact let Windows use all the RAM:
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management-demystifying-3gb.aspx

I could really do with some help on the matter, and like I said, it'll be greatly appreciated. But I really cannot work with how it is right now.

Kage :)

well i think XP sees between 3.25 and 3.75 so it wouldnt be that much of a waste if it sees 3.75

This is a long shot.

I do some track editing work and work alot with audio wave forms.

The program that I use allows me to select a section of HD space. Well actually it allows me to select 2 spaces, one primary and one secondary space. I use a single HD purely for this and it allows me to work with a hell of a lot of files/waves/sessions without worrying about space.

Just thinking if your program allows you to do the same and select a portion of HD space which it will use for editing?

?

disk usage

i do track editing as but i have no problem, i use sony vegas and fl studio and pcdj ad they work fine

Before thinking about getting more, I would test your current RAM and see if it's still good. I'd run memtest for a few hours and see what it turns up.

Thanks for the help.

I believe the RAM is okay. I haven't had any other problems. Its litterally while rendering this massive scene I have, as its never done it before, and doesn't do it on lower quality renders.

Heck, I'm not sure if 4GB's would be enough to manage it.

There doesn't seem to be any option to use hard drive space, no :(

I think I'll try going for an extra 2GB. If it doesn't work, I'll be down like £30, but if it does, I think it'll be worth it.

As long as I don't have to change anything, and it really does see most of it, and programs use the extra :)

Back
Top Bottom