Windows XP Media Center Edition = XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
My dad bought a new laptop and it came with Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition.

In the system information, it says it's Windows XP Pro (build 5600 or 2600 I can't remember). In the start menu, it says XP Media Center Edition.

He wants to format it to get rid of all the AOL crap, spy sweeper, norton, etc. But it didn't come with a XP installation CD (which is weird, it should of).

So, I was wondering if Windows XP Pro and Media Center are the same exact os? What's the difference?

Also, will the Media Center serial # work for a XP Pro installation?

Thanks ;)

No. MCE is not the same as XP Pro. MCE has some extra stuff that is not in XP Pro. Just the same the Serial for the MCE will not work for XP Pro and the serial for XP Pro wouldnt work for MCE.

Check and see if there is a seperate partition on the HDD that has the restore options. Some manufacturers do that now. Other than that he can call the Manufacturer and tell them he wants a CD. It might cost him a few bucks but he has the right to his CD if he chooses to have it.

Other than that i would check to make sure that there is no other partition that has the Restore info that he has to burn to CD himself.

Yes, there is a partition for the restore. But we don't want to RESTORE. We want a fresh copy of XP.

Why can't I download a copy of XP MCE? Maybe Microsoft has a trial edition or something?

They dont have a trial edition available. I wish they did. Also most of the time the downloads that are out htere are for the older version not the newer one like you have. So it would be a downgrade in the OS for him to do it that way.

So either you have to try and get a CD or you see if you can burn the OS form the Restore Partition.

I can show you how to install windows on that computer with a bart pe cd in you want

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110996

If your PC lacks a Windows CD, a folder named 'i386' containing the Windows installation files is probably in the root directory of drive C: or in your C:\Windows folder. Your system may have several i386 folders, but the one you want has a lot of files with extensions ending in underscores (_), along with the executable files expand.exe, regedit.exe, and winnt32.exe. Copy this folder onto a CD for safekeeping, though you'll use the version on the hard drive to actually reinstall Windows.

Keep your 25-character Windows Product Key handy--you'll need it to reinstall the OS. The number is on the back of your PC, on the bottom of your notebook, or in some other hard-to-read spot; it may be listed in the documentation as well.

You'll also need a bootable CD for starting the install process. Bart Lagerweij's free PE Builder creates a CD-bootable version of XP called Bart's Pre-install Environment, or BartPE, from either a Windows CD or the i386 folder. Click here to download PE Builder.

Open PE Builder's main dialog box and select the folder or drive containing your i386 folder, but not the folder itself. Check Create ISO image, click Burn to CD, and select your CD-RW drive from the Device drop-down menu. If PE Builder doesn't support your burner, double-click the PE Builder--created .iso file to launch your CD authoring program and burn the CD.

To reinstall Windows, boot from the BartPE CD you just created and select Go, Programs, A43 File Management Utility (see Figure 1). Navigate to the hard drive's i386 folder (do not use the i386 folder on the CD). Double-click winnt32.exe to start the installation process. When the installation program closes, reboot your PC, remove the CD, and select Microsoft Windows XP Setup from the resulting boot menu. The installation will pick up where it left off.

I think I might save the trouble and request HP Send me a copy of Windows XP OS.

I also want HP (or Compaq) to send me an XP CD for my MCE... How would I go about requesting this?

They won't send it. I did a live chat, and they gave me the product number for the restore DVDs.

I'm very disappointed. But it's not my laptop so I don't care. I would do a live chat with them and complain to them like I did. Ask for a OS CD.

Edit: If you have tech experience, download XP MCE off of a torrent and burn it to a CD and use the serial # on bottom of your laptop. And if it works, let me know :D

mack said:
They won't send it. I did a live chat, and they gave me the product number for the restore DVDs.

I'm very disappointed. But it's not my laptop so I don't care. I would do a live chat with them and complain to them like I did. Ask for a OS CD.

Edit: If you have tech experience, download XP MCE off of a torrent and burn it to a CD and use the serial # on bottom of your laptop. And if it works, let me know :D

it won't work. it isn't the same cd. trust me. i've been there, done that

Nope most of the MCE editions on Torrent are MCE 2002 or MCE 2003 and not the current MCE 2006 like what should be installed. So it wouldnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom