Windows XP Home Repair Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
I am having problems with Windows and my hard drive, but I believe they are seperate from this issue. Durring the Windows XP Home repair install the process hangs durring the 34 minute mark, it has done this before and I followed the "restart untill it skips the device its stuck on" solution and it eventually worked. However, this time i have been trying that for like a day and a half, still no luck. I looked up the log files and found that the video card had not been installed yet. Also, before the HD LED stops and the whole install hangs, my screen flashes as if the video drivers are being installed, but when i check the log files it just says some PNP device was installed correctly, and if I wait like 20-30min it will get to 33min remaining and the logs say it is trying to remove something, then it hangs forever (7 hours last night and no progress). Today I tried taking out my high end vid card and using an OLD pci slot vid card and the same results... Then I read an artice from Microsoft that talked about a bug in some USBHUB.sys and it had a hotfix, so I put it on a floppy and actualy installed the hotfix while the install was hanging at 34 mins then restarted, NOTHING... still hangs at 34 mins.

What do I do...? Tried the vid card, restarts, the hotfix, disabled any onboard features on my board... are there any other board options i need to check, any way to bypass video drivers, anything? Please help me...

I don't see why it can be your video card, Window should just install a standard VGA driver, it won't install the actual driver, that's left for you to do.

I would try installing with just the bare minimum. What ever you need, take things out like other CD/DVD drive if you have more than 1, USB (but not your keyboard and mouse). You don't need the sound card yet or network card.

You just need the basic hard drive, CD drive, RAM, Vid, CPU. Keyboard and mouse.

If that doesn't seem to do anything, than you might have a bad hardware somewhere, I would start with the CD disc, then CD drive, then RAM then hard drive.

What about doing a format and clean install?

Hmm... well i see where your going... however, the log files show that the hard drives have been installed along with the DVD drives already. I agree it cant be the vid card now, but in the logs it seems to be on a portion of device install involving ports on the MOBO, "Legacy Devices". I tried disabling USB on my BIOS, and disables almost anything else non essential (sound, LAN, etc), yet still nothing. If it is indeed installing VGA drivers, then it moves on to something I dont know and gets stuck...

[Legacy Devices]
Root\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0 = Ports (COM & LPT)

That is the last line of the pnplog.txt file

In the setupapi.log file it is so long with all the restarts I tried, but I remember after examining the log when it would get to 33 mins and then NEVER move again, it says its trying to remove something ROOT...... and I cant find it yet. I will look through and find it soon. Hope this might shed some light... *crosses fingers*

OK... i let it go the 30 mins it takes to get to 33 mins and then hangs and says on the setupapi.log:
"Removing Root\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom