Windows XP Configuration...

Toby1

Daemon Poster
Okay so I have a laptop that's a 1GhZ Celeron 256MB SDRAM with a 10Gig 5400RPM FAT32 hard drive running Windows XP Home SP2. And yeah, I don't know, after I installed service pack 2 (and 5-10 programs, mainly security stuff) it's taken up half the hard drive (or there abouts) I'm just wondering what services or stuff I could disable to free up some space and performance. I've disabled IE, Outlook, Accessories, Games, WMP in the Add/Remove Windows Components. I'm just not so sure of what services that can be safely disabled.

On a side note, does anyone know anywhere I can find a lite version of XP that actually works? Kind of illegal, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Edit: Also does anyone know anywhere I can find SP2 with all the updates included besides IE... Takes way too long. Like maybe in a self-extracting file? Only reason I ask is cause' I have no burner on my laptop so I can't make any image files to skip reinstalling SP2 and it's updates.

Any help is always appreciated.

Okay so TinyXP is great. But there's just one small problem. I'm running Re05 of TinyXP and it wont install Office 2003 Pro. I mean, is it even possible? According to the install notes it is. Just wondering if anyone else has installed Office on TinyXP Rev05 successfully before (including Access).

Thanks.

Edit: I tried the Office 2003 CD on my laptop and it doesn't work on XP Home Edition either (legit)... Only on this computer which has XP Pro. Strange. Says something about the Setup.ini file being missing or inaccessible. But why would it be accessible on one computer/OS and not another?

Back
Top Bottom