Windows will no longer install.

rmp5s1

Baseband Member
I made another post about this about a month ago. Everything in my puter basically grinded to a halt.

Now, put simply, Windows will not install. I boot to the install disk and it takes FOREVER to do anything as I click through the install screens. I used to be able to install in 7 min, now it takes 25 min just to get to the EULA screen...

I've tried:

- Installing to the RAID0 array (2x OCZ Vertex 3)
- Installing to one of them (tried them both separately)
- Unplugging ALL DRIVES from the machine and running the installer
- Running a Ubuntu Live CD

NOTHING works. The windows installer progresses crazy slow and the Ubuntu disk booted, extremely slowly...but it did, but wouldn't do anything once it was on the desktop. The mouse wouldn't even move.

Originally I thought my RAID array was dying. It likes to do that. That's why I regularly make system images. No problem, I thought. Delete the array, recreate it, reinstall windows and restore from a system image I have.

I can't even get windows to install now! Nothing works!

I'm starting to think it's not the drives since the same thing happens even when there are no drives plugged in at all.

Could it be the RAM? Something else?

I'm really quite lost. Any help greatly appreciated.

Try changing leads, reset cmos, switch memory, take one out, switch memory if it still is slow, this is a strange problem, sounds like a hardware error tho, if you've tried different resources for the os..

Here's something a lot of folks don't give a single thought to.
If you're overclocked windows or any other OS for that matter won't install. Like Ant said, reset the bios. Go back to default settings and try again.

USB is slow as hell, too.

I've installed on this machine while overclocked before and it worked fine. It did the aforementioned 7 minute install when I had it running at 5.1GHz. It's OC'd now but not a lot. Only to 4.3GHz...4.4...something like that.

In case anyone's wondering, the specs are:
- i7-2600k @ 4.3 - 4.4GHz
- Corsair H60 liquid cooling
- nVidia GTX580
- ASUS MoBo
- 8GB G.Skill Sniper @2133MHz
- 2x OCZ Vertex 3 in RAID0
- 1TB spinner for storage
- 750W Rosewill PSU

But I'm going to fix it this weekend. (It's been down for a couple weeks and I'm starting to get Planetside 2 withdrawls!!) I'll start by resetting the CMOS since that idea crossed my mind a few days ago. I'm just not sure though. It's so strange. The thing WORKED before I ditched the RAID to rebuild it, it was just slow and acting funny. Like, it'd take 30 seconds to boot when it used to take 5...the Desktop Gadgets wouldn't load when it got to the desktop...it bluescreened a couple times...things like that. It WORKED...just not right.

I'm going to go through the thing tomorrow or sunday. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks, guys!!

Alrighty...CMOS cleared, RAM reseated, brand new Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit disk burning. I will post results!

*Fingers Crossed*

Definitely made no difference. I recorded the attempt. I'm going to make a video out of it all and put it on YouTube to hopefully better illustrate the symptoms. I'll have it up tonight.

Thanks!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiight not get the vid up until tomorrow. But yea...I haven't forgotten you guys.

Back
Top Bottom