Windows VPN issues

rcadm

Beta member
Hello Everyone
So I have some issues with Windows VPN and its annoys the crap out of me. We are a small company of under 30 people and I'm the IT on site daily.
We have some new hires starting soon, and therefore been tasked with setting up some laptops.
We use VPN so people can work from home. Through our unifi gateway (usg) ports 500, 1701, and 4500 is port forwarded to our local VPN server.
The VPN is with a pre-shared key and a user /pass.
Heres the issue:
Whenever I have to setup a new computer with a VPN connection, the connection fails, Says the server is not able to found etc etc. Windows Default error message.
Now meanwhile I have quite a few people working from home and they have no complaints about it not working, ever.
So why is it, everytime a new PC / connection has to be made it doesnt work? What am I missing?

-Thanks in advance for any help

Now, let’s take a look at some of the advanced tips to fix issues around VPN. These tips will need someone who has good knowledge of Windows 10. Along with this, you need an Administrator account.
1] Reinstall VPN Software

If you are using a VPN software, instead of the inbuilt VPN feature of Windows 10, it is always a good idea to reinstall it. Many a time the configuration of the software is the root cause of the problem, and simple reinstallation fixes. Also, do cross-check if your VPN software subscription has expired.

2] Reinstall WAN MiniPorts
  • WAN Miniports are drivers for various types of network connections. WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport(IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP) are used for VPN connections, i.e., connection to a PPTP VPN server. You can easily reinstall the drivers again using Windows.
  • Open Device Manager
  • Find Network Adapters
  • Uninstall WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport(IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP).
  • Click Action, then Scan for hardware changes
  • The adapters you just uninstalled should come back
  • Try connecting again. Hopefully, you should be good to go.

3] Troubleshoot TAP-Windows Adapter
These are virtual network kernel devices i.e. software-based, and offer virtual TAP device functionality on the Windows OS. Many a time this is required the VPN software to work properly. We would highly recommend you to check out our tutorial on TAP-Windows Adapters.

4] Insert an Exception for UDP by editing The Registry

UDP or User Datagram Protocol is another way of transmitting data, just like TCP. However, UDP is used primarily for establishing low-latency and loss-tolerating connections between applications on the internet. Many VPN software and even Windows uses it. If there is a security issue around it, it fails i.e. UDP needs to establish security associations when both the server and the Windows PC.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Tips to Fix VPN Not Connecting Windows 10 – 6 Ways
1. Check Your Regular Network Connection.
2. Make Sure the VPN Login Credentials Is Correct.
3. Try a Different VPN Server.
4. Reinstall VPN Software.
5. Disable IPv6 Protocol.
6. Troubleshoot VPN Not Connecting Windows 10 by Temporarily Disabling Firewall.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez

Make sure you have a regular network connection, and double check that you have entered the correct username and password for the VPN connection. Then, if you're using a free VPN service, you can check the VPN service provider's website to see if the credentials have changed, find and enter the VPN login credentials again, and try to connect again.

Back
Top Bottom