Windows Vista, uses way too much RAM!!!

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
untitledfc7.jpg

i have 1gb ram and usually have around 30mb free when i have msn, firefox, etc open. another 1gb ram is cheap enough so i dont think people should moan that much.

But what's funny is that it says Physcial RAM is at 78%. Hmmmm. Now you see why I'm always recommending 2gigs. I don't have much running in the background, just a couple of IE windows, Computer window, Task Manager, and Documents window open. That's it. Not running any games or videos, damn. I see stupid svchost and explorer.exe up there again doing it's usual hogging of the resources.

What I find even more irritating is the fact that the DDR2's are cheaper than DDR1 RAM modules!!!!!

ISOwner said:
But what's funny is that it says Physcial RAM is at 78%. Hmmmm. Now you see why I'm always recommending 2gigs. I don't have much running in the background, just a couple of IE windows, Computer window, Task Manager, and Documents window open. That's it. Not running any games or videos, damn. I see stupid svchost and explorer.exe up there again doing it's usual hogging of the resources.

What I find even more irritating is the fact that the DDR2's are cheaper than DDR1 RAM modules!!!!!
yeah, i have noticed that ddr is more expensive than ddr 2

Runs fine on my system. With a virus scan multiple windows open it uses between 40-50% of my ram. Of course I have 2gbs. Just curious whats your index score? I'm getting a 5.3 on the spec's below. I'd suggest getting another gig of ram and you should be good to go. Virtually everybody that has talked about vista has said to go with 2gigs. I'm just happy myself I got vista home premium Friday after about 12hrs of tweaking I've finally got a pretty stable interface. Maybe I should have went with the 32bit version but I figured it would be obsolite in a few years anyways. Just wish I could get some 64bit chipset drivers!

Vista IS a memory hog.

I downgraded a friend's Vista PC to XP. Booting times were about 4 minutes on vista, not even a fourth that on XP. The PC only had 512 megs of ram.

Honestly, I don't see why Vista has to be so demanding. I hate it's UI, there are too many fancy shmancy effects, and so many processes open that I don't use. Just because there is open memory doesn't mean it should always be taken.

ya, you have to have a damn good pc, just to halfway enjoy its UI without it being laggy and taking forever, and then ontop of that you have to have 2gigs to run a damn program, let alone a game

MikeReiner said:
Vista IS a memory hog.

I downgraded a friend's Vista PC to XP. Booting times were about 4 minutes on vista, not even a fourth that on XP. The PC only had 512 megs of ram.

Honestly, I don't see why Vista has to be so demanding. I hate it's UI, there are too many fancy shmancy effects, and so many processes open that I don't use. Just because there is open memory doesn't mean it should always be taken.
yeah , ii have seen a few places in the ug selling vista pc's with only 512mb ram , i lol'd when i saw a pc with 512mb with vista , i was like it would be much better to inc xp and bring the price down as well , when i get vista i am getting 2gigs of ram and a 256mb gpu

Back
Top Bottom