Windows Vista Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think lmewire is a files sharing i herd there has been a massavive crack down on copyright, people being catched for downloading music n etc

i think lmewire is a files sharing i herd there has been a massavive crack down on copyright, people being catched for downloading music n etc

People don't get caught for downloading. There's even legal questionability as to whether downloading is even illegal. The illegal part is uploading and distributing to others.

yea i knew about uploading, so if you download of them you will be fine:S i always thought it was the same for them both

For anything big limewire isn't the way to go. Its too slwo. You would want to go for a torrent. its much more reliable and with enough seeders you can get some very high rates.

People don't get caught for downloading. There's even legal questionability as to whether downloading is even illegal. The illegal part is uploading and distributing to others.

People do get caught for illegally downloading copyrighted material, as it is illegal (certainly in the UK and US anyway). People have been prosecuted for doing so.

The BPI and RIAA have mainly prosecuted mass file sharers, who are sharing music files in the hundreds, to the thousands over P2P networks. The idea is that by removing these file sharers from the network, there will be less and less music available. They just simply don't have sufficient resources to track down and prosecute all the individual users who only download, say, several songs a day using a P2P program.

But this doesn't mean that they do not intend to prosecute those who download music illegally. They comment that they won't hesitate to track down extreme users, who illegally download copyrighted material in large numbers.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

People do get caught for illegally downloading copyrighted material, as it is illegal (certainly in the UK and US anyway). People have been prosecuted for doing so.

The BPI and RIAA have mainly prosecuted mass file sharers, who are sharing music files in the hundreds, to the thousands over P2P networks. The idea is that by removing these file sharers from the network, there will be less and less music available. They just simply don't have sufficient resources to track down and prosecute all the individual users who only download, say, several songs a day using a P2P program.

But this doesn't mean that they do not intend to prosecute those who download music illegally. They comment that they won't hesitate to track down extreme users, who illegally download copyrighted material in large numbers.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

You are partially correct. The idea of trying to track downloaders is not even close to a feasible idea for a couple of reasons:

1. The offender has to transmit something outwardly for someone to know that they have illegal content.

2. According to fair use laws, if you own the content you can use it for any purpose other than illegal distribution. This includes getting mp3 copies of it for yourself. So the feds could possibly be tracking someone who already owns the content. Hence wasted resources.

3. To track it, they'd have to put out bait content for people to download, breaking their own laws.

Prosecuting the "sharers" is what is being done. Which is still I believe a very silly tactic (that's another discussion) but it is more feasible than prosecuting downloaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom