windows vista is a pain

blackjack

Fully Optimized
: :mad: : after being on this forum a day or too ago i decided to see what vista is actually like , so i downloaded,installed and succsessfully activated windows ultimate. the graphics are fab, the security quite good, sound and lay out good but strange to a xp user, after that its pure heart ache, you have to search for ever trying to find a antivirus compatible with it ,i tried norton,nod 32,mcafee ,it wouldnt entertain, them finally i downloaded advast free version which works fine. i gave up trying to get a good firewall and had to use windows own firewall. i tried the dvd software in the media center to convert and burn my avi film files, it took an eternity to encode, then stopped responding at aboat 4/5% and giving me a error message . i repeated this process several times only to get he same responce,. by this time i was getting ready to go into orbit :mad: out came the ghost floppy disc ,restart computer into dos ,restore xp image , here i am again back on xp, my advice to anyone thinking of upgrading to vista is THINK AGAIN, DONT BOTHER!!!

more ppl are running 98 then vista. and if that was an illeagal download id edit that post microsoft has people crawling all over. one guy posted about his findings about tapping a bus on the xbox(on his own website obvisouly very little traffic) the VERY NEXT DAY he got a phone telling him to remove his findings or face a lawsuit :S

If that copy of windows was pirated it would be best to just reformat your drive with a legit copy. Pirating MS Windows isn't a great idea, especially with Microsoft's strict anti-piracy policies.

Eh, my copy of Vista is a bit shady, and it's working fine. It seems like most of his problems was with third party software.

As for good antivirus, AVG is free. And Ad-aware works fine with Vista.

Getting Vista to run right is like fine tuning a car. It has its ups and downs for now, but there's a fix for most things. Don't get discouraged. Today, I spend nearly 6 hours trying to get a laptop (a friend of mine who's running Vista Home Premium) to work properly. It was for a Sony Vaio and oh man, there were problems. One thing after another. Seems like nothing would give in. It had XP preinstalled on it before.

AVG works wonders. That's what I end up installing on all Vista supported PCs. It's the only one that actually works well with Vista. Norton 360 had some early preliminary bugs (which I eventually threw out). Good riddance.

For multimedia encoding, Roxio 9 works well for me. I have it installed on all Vista PCs. Finally, video, sound, fingerprint biometric work after a lot of trial and error. Sound would only work with Window's system default sounds, but media and other sounds didn't work, headphones had no sound and microphone didn't work. But the speakers themselves work. The random restart occured a lot due to Windows Explorer flaking out but now it finally stopped, and Windows Explorer was up and running again. Reinstalling Vista was a pain too. It keeps saying to put the Vista CD in the drive and restart. The DVD's in there already, hello. It would hang at certain parts of the installation process. The webcam doesn't work still, so we're still working on that. We're missing hotkeys for the keyboard, but the older version of the hotkey drivers works great. It's stable now, but what a pain in the butt. I never had this kind of complication with any PC before.

Then this guy's sister finally got the Vista upgrade in the mail through Dell. I had to end up upgrading since he's scared out of his mind (because of his laptop experience). That went very well. Only problem was with the network adapter. I ignored the CD drivers that the network adapter came with and let Windows install it's own set of built in drivers. Works great now.

I dont think many people are even thinking about it until:

1) the first Service pack is released
2)There hardware is supported
3)it is cheaper

NOD32 didn't work?? thats werid seeing as how its being advertised as Vista compatable.
the windows firewall is actually decent, its not too much of a downgrade in my oppinion.

if you have a lagit version of nero (needs to be six or seven) nero has a link to get you a vista compatable version of their software. it starts as a trial version, then you enter your product key (this is where the lagit version comes to play) and voila, you have nero 7 fully functioning. If i can find the link, i'll paste it in here.

u guys are crazy!
vista works great for me!
it installed in less than 20 minutes. its way faster than xp.

drumthrasher said:
u guys are crazy!
vista works great for me!
it installed in less than 20 minutes. its way faster than xp.

i do have to agree with that. while i'm not running vista myself, i have installed it on enough machines at work to know how great it truely is. the only problems i've seen are lack of drivers for things like cameras, scanners and untill yesterday, ipods.

Windows Vista is a Pain

You'd think with all the articles and reviews of it being crappy, that it would make sense. Well, it sucks that you can't return it. I say try to sell that thing on eBay for maybe a little less then what you paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom