Windows Server Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
I have a home network with 5 computers on it. I want to get a windows server running so the computers can all log onto their accounts through it, instead of just each computer separate like they are now. I have a few questions about doing this. First, is Windows Server 2003 the newest one? all the computers have windows xp pro, will they all be able to log onto the server? (was expecting to find a server xp) what about windows server 2000? does that work with xp? also I noticed the retail versions are quite pricy, and I was planning on just buying a license for it. if i do this, is it illigal for me to download the installation cd, as i own a license and therefore technically own the software? any help on any of this would be greatly appreciated

Also as for the actual server...what matters the most for servers, Processing power, memory, hdd space? what should i go big on and what should i skimp on? (want a solid server but on a budget)

One more thing, does the windows server edition also work as a client?

What version would be best for my small home network?

Yes it's illegal you are given one copy which you may make backups of but you may not download someone elses copy and all of windows on the internet are illegal to download unless it's from MSDN. I use Server 2003 myself at home which I got through MSDN. I heard that Windows Server R2 is shipping this summer so hold off for a bit before you buy the first release of Server 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom