Windows Server 2003 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowDragon777

Baseband Member
Hello i am new to the forum and very new to windows server 2003...and new to networking. Now i am trying to hook up a server to run roaming profiles off of but i can't seem to find anything to explain how to do that from step one. Everything i have found so far starts in the middle or expects you to know what you are doing. Any help would be great.

Welcome to TF!

Have you installed Active Directory(AD) on the server-this would be step 1.

You are correct:)

First off, lets get some things straight:

A roaming profile is one that a user can access from anywhere in your network, as compared to a local profile which is stored on individual computers, and their user settings cant follow them from computer to computer.

To create roaming profile, right-click the user that you want to have a roaming profile, go to properties. THen click the profile tab. In the profile path type the following:
\\Server\ShareName\%UserName%

Notice how "Server" is used instead of a local location(c:\folder).

Sharename refers to a shared folder that is on your server (where you are storing the profile). This folder must be shared!!! If it is not shared then the user account wont be able to access it when they try to log on.

Then the %username% entry: Its important to use the % on either side of the username. This will ensure that the folder is created properly and if you copy this account to be used for another user, they in turn get their own folder for their profile.

Whew! Hope that helps!

That is what I had in that thread I posted just didn't fell like typing it all out.:p

But don't forget you would have to create a shared folder for the roaming profiles to go in to first.

Ya, your thread pretty much covered it too. I drank a lot of coffee so far this morning, so I am typing at hyper speeds :D :D :D

I set the user i want to what you said and it works just fine like that and all but the other problem is when i go to the computer and setup the desktop and what not the way i want it then go to control panal>System>Advanced tab>User profiles and try to copy it to the Profiles folder on the server i can't find it at all. Its just like its not even there. And yes i have it set to share and all the users have full access.

when i try that i get an error message that says failed to set security on the destination profile. Error - The network path was not found.
this is what i typed \\Server1\Profiles\Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom