Windows Server 2003 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go into your network connection properties (where you set the IP address on the NIC) and enter the IP address of your Domain Controller in the space where it asks for a DNS server.

This is assuming that when you did your AD install, you chose default settings and set up DNS at the same time as the AD install.

No prob :D

Do this:

Right-click "My Network Places">Click "Properties">Right-click the network connection>Click "Properties">Click "TCP/IP">Click the "Properties" button>Near the bottom of the window there will be a place to enter the IP address of the DNS server>Enter the IP address of your Domain Controller in this space.

After you have clicked ok to confirm your IP settings, open a command prompt and type the following(WinXP machine):

ipconfig /all

Make sure that your DNS server is correct.

Now, type in the following(WinXP Machine):

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Now that you have pointed the WinXP machine to DNS correctly (hopefully) you should be able to get onto that share (as discussed previously).

Post back with your results :D

That IP flushdns worked nicely and the IP registerdns said that it has been initiated and that if there are any error's they would be reported in 15 minutes.

Ok when i tried to copy the profile again this is the message i got.

Failed to set security on the destination profile. Error - The network path was not found.

On the Server

Start button>Administrative Tools>Make sure that DNS is in the menu.

Once you have determined that DNS is in that menu (and therefore installed), open a command prompt, and type the following:

ipconfig /all

Make note of the hostname.
Make note of the IP address
Make sure that the DNS server's IP address listed is the same as its own IP address (The Domain Controllers DNS server is itself).

On WinXP machine

Run...
\\Domain controllers' hostname

if that didnt work, then:
\\Domain controllers' IP address.

Ok the \\Domain controllers' Hostname did not work but the IP did. Now im getting a window that wants a user name and password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom