Windows-Red Hat problem

csnudelman1

Solid State Member
I just, last month, got my computer out of the shop where I had it upgraded. It has three 80GB hard drives. Two of the drives are configured as RAID 0 where Windows XP Pro and all programs reside. The other hard drive is partishioned into two 40GB drives. One of these I use as my 'scratch' disc only. The other has just been idle. Today I loaded Red Hat 9.0. I thought I was loading it on the empty 40MB drive, and it may well be. However, now Windows does not load and as far as it gets when I boot is to a screen that just says "GRUB_". While I do have the Windows CD I don't have a floppy boot disc. I would be willing to "turn back the clock" if this can be done. I hate to load all those programs and files again but I do have to have Windows. Advice please. tHANKS, cRAIG

Grub is a boot loader used by *nix. It allows you to select which operating system to boot from. All you probably have to do is configure it right and you should have a dual boot.

update

Using "SAystem Commander" v.7.5 I found out My drive that had Windows and all my 'stuff' wiped clean, changed to FAT 32 and a bit of it partisioned to hold "Red Hat". Now my hard drives seem all messed up. I tried to install Windows but it installed on one of the 40GB sections and just pieced off some of that for Windows so now I have my third HD in three sections. Damn, I wish I could get this right and just forget about Red Hat.

Create a boot disk (windows 98 will work) stick it in reboot, it'll load up the dos stuff once you get the prompt c:> or whatever type this in "fdisk" without the quotes of course. then, it'll ask you a question, hit y and then press enter. then delete ALL partitions. then create one partition using all the space. exit, pop out the cd, stick in your windows cd. and you should be good to go.

NOTE: Repartitioning your drives will cause data loss backup your data before continuing.

Thanks for all the help, but it is still kinda over my head. You mentioned "Windows 98", I do have "Windows 98 SE" on a CD. I also have "XP Pro". I am using my wife's laptop at the time being, it has "2000 Pro". How do I create a boot disc? I really need directions on an elementary level. Thanks, Craig

Okay, Go to start, Settings, Control Pannel, Add Remove Programs, At the top you'll see a tab that says Startup Disk, Click that, you'll need to put in a blank floppy (or one you don't care about erasing all the stuff on it) And create a start up disk, The after it's done making it you can reboot with the disk in and fdisk.

You might wanna check your bios boot sequence. When your computer starts up it'll say PRESS [some key] to enter setup or something simular, press that key, bios will come up. Find boot sequence. Make sure that the order is Floppy, Cd, Hard drive. Hard drive will probably look something like HD0.

I think it's too late to do as you suggested. I did set the boot sequence as you said. I think (using "System Commander") that I now have three partitions for storeage. All formated NTFS. When I try to install "Windows" as usual it wants to load on one of the 40GB partitions (I have two such partitions on an 80GB HD). When I use "System Commander" to install it will install it on the drive I want to use (two 80BD HDs in RAID 0) but, it partitions off 35GB or so to do so.

Back
Top Bottom