Windows Recovery Points? Your opinion and experices would be welcomed.

connchri

Daemon Poster
Hello!,

I've just got my wee Thinkpad X61s up and running, and updates are taking an age. I've been at it since yesterday.

Now it's only got a tiny 80GB harddrive, so it'll not be the fastest thing either. I'm planing on upgrading it to either a 160GB or 320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black later in the week. I'll be ghosting the thing, so getting all these updates etc etc isn't a waste of time.

Anyway, it appears the most space consuming thing on the laptop is the system restore points. I've limited these down to taking only 1GB, as they were swallowing up 10GB of HDD space. But, It's also very time consuming when installing updates too... And everytime at that. I also cannot recall a time, since way back in Windows ME days, of ever needing to use system restore.

So peps! What is you opinion on system restore, and since I'm no n00b and my days a tweeking as coming to an end, is there anypoint in having it on? It slows down updates, it consumes hard disk space on a small drive, and I've never once had to use it since it's been available for the past 11+ years.

If any of you have used it, why? What was the situation? And do you think it's safe to turn this off?

Cheers,

Chris.

One of the first things I do after a new Windows installation is disable system restore. In my own experience, 2/3 of system restore points either did nothing to help the problem or it even made it a bit worse. I rather have the tiny bit extra HDD space and performance than having system restore enabled. That's just me though, Im sure that many other people swear by it and recommend that you leave it on all the time.

I personally don't disable it, I've used it successfully a couple of times.

Same. It's my personal ace in the hole whenever a new driver install goes wrong and windows won't boot into anything but safe mode.

Back
Top Bottom