Windows problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
I bought a game on steam the other day, and my comp bsoded right when i went to install it/ think it was just a coincidence that this happened when i was using steam steam. I thought re-installing steam had fixed it. But i came home from school today and my computer was sitting at a black screen with the blinking white underscore thing. I restarted and it went straight to asus bios flash thing. It said that the bios might be corrupted, so i did the repair with it. when it was done it restarted and it bsoded mid way, then i tried again and it went to the check disk screen....i let it check the c drive for consistencies and it restarted when it finished...mid boot it went to a black screen that said this:

"The file is possibly corrupt. The file header check sum does not match the computed check sum" i wrote it down."

I restarted again and it booted right into windows no problem... so wtf is going on? I'm thinking the os got ****ed up somehow. Any ideas other then re-installing?

Might be a ram problem, because i was having a similar problem about a month ago, i narowed it down to the mobo though. I bought a new mobo and it fixed the problem, untill now. So guess i should run memtest to see if i can take that off the list of problems.

EDIT:i just noticed that the cpu utilization is at like 80% just sitting at the desktop with no programs running what so ever, everything also seems to be really slow.

edit2: temps are also fairly high, 3 cores in 60-65. on at about 52-58/ This is mostlikely because of the really high cpu utilization though.

Another bit to add:
I checked coretemp and it said the cpu was at 11ghz....checked cpuz but it said it was normal.

i restarted and it bsoded at hte windows loading screen. Restarted again and it booted up fine. Cpu utilization was back to normal and coretemp said it was at a normal cpu speed again.BUt steam is yet again bot working. (the origional reason i reinstalled steam was becuase it would start to connect to my accound then just go away, every time,)

EDIT:eek:k, i think it is now pretty much confirmed that it has something to do with steam, because the computer will work fine as far as i can tell, as long as i don't try to run a game in steam (it let me login now) as soon as i try to run frontlines fuel of war it bsod's...i did it several times to be sure.

I tried a repair install too but it just said windows failed to start, insert os disk and select repair...well there is no repair that i can select, it just keeps going to that screen.

Some quick help would be nice guys

Thanks

k got more stuff to add.

Steam out of no where will now load frontlines....it does not crash when i try anymore (there is no sound though). I restarted to see if that would fix the sound problem, it bsoded when re booting. Restarted again and i got a hard error on a blue screen that read

"stop:c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll"

I restarted agn it booted fine (still no sound in the game though) (sound is working in everything else)

What version of Windows? XP/Vista/Win7? Must be XP if you tried a repair install right? Since Vista and Win7 dont have that option anymore.

Load up the Command Prompt and try sfc /scannow
After that do the chkdsk /r /f

I would advise a scan with MemTest86+ for at least 4 hours to make sure it isnt the RAM.

^ahh, that explains why it did not work...no im running windows 7 hp 64bit. I went right from xp to windows 7...didn't know that it did not have a repair install option.

yeah im gonna run memtest tonight...

if it passes it i think im just gonna do a re-install...

ok i did the scan thing and it said the following

"windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." then a directory of where details can be found.

So it seems that a fresh install would probably fix the problem because something is corrupt.

I am still going to run memtest tonight though.

Alright from that information i would guess that the message came up during the sfc /scannow scan? If so then yes something is most definitely not right. That scan is done to check the file integrity of your system files which would explain the issues you are having. With the lack of a repair option i would say that a reinstall will be your best option to try and resolve your issues.

Along with that let me state that using the built in format option during the Windows setup is NOT the way to go. It is only a quick format which is why it only takes a few seconds to complete. It will be worth your time to use Gparted and format the drive with that first before installing Win7. I have used this method (Format with Gparted first then install Windows after) for the past couple of years and i have never had any issues with file integrity. I have complained directly to the developers about the formatting options as the quick format is junk at the best of times. It is just like moving your files to the recycle bin and it is useless. It doesnt do a scan of the drive for bad sectors or anything. It is just utter garbage.

^ok, thanks for the info mak. I'm still going to run memtest in about an hour though to make sure the ram is fine. If you leave memtest running and it finds errors, will it stay on screen? because i would like to just leave it running over night.

+rep

Yes the information will be present until you come back to the PC. So you will see the errors if it finds any.

ok, its 8 in the morning so it ran for a good 8 hours.

Report:
test-errors
1-0
2-0
3-65
4-314
5-20
6-59
7-235
8-0
9-0
10-0

now, I'm no expert, but something doesn't seem right to me. lol

I am not expert, but from what i know MemTest doesnt test the same exact thing for every test. So those results look accurate. Think of it more like the Windows Index scores for your PC and not like test 1 does teh same thing as test 2 and so on.

I dont know what each one tests for, but that does seem like there is a high amount of errors on those tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom