Windows Live Messenger Retired For Skype *Speculation*

helix2301

In Runtime
With Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Office and Xbox 360 all supporting Skype naively it would not surprise me if Microsoft retired Windows Live Messenger sooner than later. There has been some talk about Microsoft retiring Lync in favor of a commercial version of Skype. Only time will tell but I think everyone is pretty sure that we can see the end of Windows Live Messenger in next few weeks.

I hate Windows Live Messenger and know NO ONE that uses it not sad to see it go.

Re: Windows Live Messenger Retired For Skype

It pains me to say it, but Microsoft has made a good move.
Although they kind of had to - since they got rid of (or are in the process of getting rid of) Hotmail, they would have to change a lot around on WLM to make it work with Outlook instead.
Too much effort, for not enough profit.

I used to use MSN / WIndows Live Messenger all the time and almost everyone used it back in the day. Now, I don't know anyone that uses it. Hell, I haven't even heard anyone mention it in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it at this point. I highly doubt anyone would even notice it.

I use it, along with about 230 other contacts of mine, and I know one company that actually uses it for internal purposes.

Skype can go to hell IMO, nothing but bugs, as was live 2011.

What bugs have you encountered with Skype?

I used to use MSN / WIndows Live Messenger all the time and almost everyone used it back in the day. Now, I don't know anyone that uses it. Hell, I haven't even heard anyone mention it in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it at this point. I highly doubt anyone would even notice it.
This has been the same case with me. Six or seven years ago on the weekends I'd have at least five active chats going on at the same time with various people. Now I never use it, since I only know two people who do and I talk to them on Steam and Facebook anyway.

Skype's never been amazing as far as bugginess goes but it's not been too bad I thought.

What bugs? How about NOT being able to sign in as the Skype install for me always went corrupt? How about the skype servers not handling the connection properly due to a cache server?

Or, how about this one.

Me: Why yes, I spend time developing a website, why do you ask?
Skype: Well, because I also need port 80, and will now proceed to **** with your XAMPP install so that you can't test that new php script out on the web end.
Me: WHAT?!

Took me three days to figure out why I couldn't get Apache to start up, all because of Skype ****ing with stuff it has NO REASON to **** with.

Back
Top Bottom