Windows help!!! Error message on startup

Ams

In Runtime
I just had a problem with a psu and got a new one and it loads fine but then it gets a message saying which OS do you want to load. For some reason there are 2 XP professional but either one i choose it leads to a message saying:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll It is either corrupted or removed. What can i do. I dont want to reinstall windows because i cant use it anymore nor do i want to loose all my stuff. Please help me!
Thanks

I have one sata with windows and one ide with only music and video. Its only a 15 gb so windows definatly isnt on it.

Well, the 15gb hdd would have been the ideal one for Windows. You wouldn't have lost anything if you would have put it on there. Can you boot it in safe mode? If so all you have to do is download the files. I can help you if you like :D

F8 or something..

No i cant boot it in safe mode. I cant do anything past that message. It really pisses me off because i have no idea as to what to do.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal

Place a blank diskette in the floppy drive of a working computer, open My Computer, right-click on the floppy drive icon, select "Format...", then select "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".
After you create the startup disk, if there's enough room on it, copy the hal.dll file directly onto it. If there isn't enough room, place the hal.dll file on another floppy disk.

Insert the MS-DOS diskette into the other computer, bootup, and at the prompt type "A:". This should change the prompt to "A:>".
Now put it the other disk and type in either "copy A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32" or "move A:\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32".

If you can't bootup from the floppy diskette, try going into your BIOS and changing the boot sequence so that the A: or Floppy drive is the first bootup device. To get into your BIOS, tap either F2 or F3 at startup.

If that fails to work

If you have the Windows XP CD, insert it into your CD drive and restart the computer. When you see the following screen, hit "R":

The screen should switch from blue to black, and you should be asked which installation to log into. Select the #1 installation (it should be listed as 1: C:\Windows) and hit enter. Next it'll ask for your administrative password. By default it's blank, so just hit enter and move on. Next you should get the C:\Windows> command prompt. Enter in the following commands:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

I dont have a floppy drive on my computer because i felt that it was outdated. If i do use the windows disk does that mean that my data will be erased?
Thanks so far for your help.

If you follow the guidelines up there then no, the stuff wont be eraced. If it asks you to FORMAT the drive, or patition, Don't Do It. That will get rid of everything.

Another option for you is to put your drive in another computer as a slave drive. You can get all of your stuff off of it like that. I don't know if you can just copy over the file you need, as I never needed to.

Floppy drive is never outdated. It has saved my.. uh.. *butt* many times..

I tried that but it didnt work. I clicked R at multiple screens and nothing happened. I remeber seeing a menu where it says clickX to install R to repair M to modify or w.e but i cant find that now.

Well, if you can't get any of that to work, the only change you have is to put the drive in your working computer.

Tell me the specs on your hdds. 15gb IDE, what, 5200 rpm? and the SATA, 7200 RPM?

Back
Top Bottom