Windows Died - Need my Files recovered!!!

otchster

Beta member
ok so windows crashed, but now i need to get a shitton of pictures documents and maybe some mp3s off of the hard drive. i know the files are intact because i see them in DOS.

the problem is its a laptop with no floppy drive.. i tried a live ubuntu linux cd, but it wouldnt reconize the NTFS drive.

anyone know a trick to getting files off a hard drive that windows wont boot into on a laptop?

for the record, safe mode in all forms is not working, nor is the repair function on the xp install cd. windows is nuked, i just need the files.

and also, this isant my computer, im doing this for a freind, so i know all about backing up data to begin with.

thanks to all who can help!! =)

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Tou can get an IDE adaptor for laptop drives that will let you plug them in to your desk system. As there isn't master/slave jumpers on lap drives it's all cable select.
I use this method when all else fails. The adaptor can be bought at just about any computer store. Around 5 bucks American.

^Mike^

Fully Optimized
setishock said:
Tou can get an IDE adaptor for laptop drives that will let you plug them in to your desk system. As there isn't master/slave jumpers on lap drives it's all cable select.
I use this method when all else fails. The adaptor can be bought at just about any computer store. Around 5 bucks American.
that's a good idea I think you should try that if you don't want to take any chances with the repair XP thing.