Windows detecting HD capacity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal

In Runtime
Hi !
I just bought a 160ghz hd but my windowsXP seems to not detect the full capacity,it only detectes 130ghz.
I made a partition of 15ghz on it,and it says on the other part 114ghz left...I was told by a friend that it would do that but he dont know if theres a way to make windows read the missing 30ghz..so is there a way?:beard:

By ghz do you mean GB?

I do know that sometimes when companies say 80 gigabytes, they really mean 80 billion bytes and since there is 1024 bytes in a gigabyte it makes a difference. However, that only accounts for 10 missing gigabytes... weird.

What kind of hard drive is it? Do you have a link we can look at?

Its the BIOS, its limiting what can be read, or the IDE controller chipset, usually its the BIOS though.Intel has a whole set of old mobos with chipsets good for 120GB's but the BIOS has em cutoff at 8.4GB max.Planned obsolescence.

Long ago they went in stages of limits----2GB,8.4GB, 120GB,134GB, and now who knows?

horndude said:
Its the BIOS, its limiting what can be read, or the IDE controller chipset, usually its the BIOS though.Intel has a whole set of old mobos with chipsets good for 120GB's but the BIOS has em cutoff at 8.4GB max.Planned obsolescence.

Long ago they went in stages of limits----2GB,8.4GB, 120GB,134GB, and now who knows?

I agree with horndudes statement. Double check your BIOS settings, hopefully you can adjust what can be read.

thx for replies:p
but i checked bios and updated all what i could and it still the same-its not a big deal i just hope i wont get any errors if i ever load my HD more than 130:p

--dean66 (lol) to not have at least sp1 is almost impossible nowadays you can't go far without it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom