Windows 98 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhawk117

Solid State Member
This is gonna be long one, and I hope I'm in the right place.

My stepsister has an old computer, Windows 98, which was once used as our family computer. When her and her mother first got their computer, her mother set up this computer so they would each be able to log in under separate accounts. I think she did this under Network Neighborhood.

Anyways, the computer ended up getting a virus and, after removing the virus (and erasing several system files in the process), my stepmom gave the computer to my stepsister to use for AIM and schoolwork. We have cable internet at our house.

I decided I'd take a look at it. I scanned for spyware, installed the latest version of McAfee internet security suite and got all necessary updates for it, and cleaned out some junk that a 15-year-old would never need and that was just taking up space. I also ran Windows Update and got all the necessary OS/IE updates installed. But I decided I'd figure out how to fix the Network Neighborhood thing later, as it wasn't causing any grief. I did all this over the course of two days, and it has worked fine for the two days since I finished.

Until tonight. Tonight, the normal log-in screen where she'd log in under her name and enter her password refuses to pop up. We are unable to access Windows without this screen. Now, suddenly, I need to figure out how to override this program, and since I can't even get to Windows in Safe Mode, I'm gonna need to do it through DOS. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

save the trouble, take the hard drive out and put it in another PC and copy the data across. Blow it away and load the OS on again, and this time dont make user profiles as it can be messy. Just have the network login and leave it at that.

I agree that you should slave the hard drive and copy over what documents you need (AIM Buddy lists, etc) and reformat.

Because user profiles on Win98 are pretty much useless anyway, it would be nice to start with a clean slate.

I Agree With dexta 182,

Backup the data you wish to keep on A CD or USB or whatever then do a fresh install of 98'

If that fails New HDD might fix the problem

Jake

Problem Fixed

Thank you all for your help. We ended up going one better: my stepsister played the guilt card on her dad and got herself a brand new computer. Now if only that card worked so well with my mom...

Jorsoft,

Yeah I was in the same boat, I don't have a checking account so my mum "loaned" me $1100 for my new comp. But I've now payed it off and its:

ALL MINE

I only got $110, paid back a month or so later too. Same guy who picked up the $30 tax on my laptop when I didn't have enough on me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom