Windows 95 and todays internet on a P1???

rbailey

Solid State Member
I was thinking of pulling an old computer out of the closet for the kids but not sure if it will do the job. I have a P1 133ghz Compaq PC with 80mb RAM (maxxed). I know it has an available expansion PCI slot and thought maybe I could get a wireless card for the internet.

My question is will this computer be strong enough for the kids to browse the web and maybe download MP3's?

Nope. It's not going to be able to do internet, if it does, it'll be unbearably slow.

I had small hopes as I read somewhere that it would using Explorer 4.0 but some Java scripts may not work on websites using the newer versions.

If you can get your hands on a P3 system, you can install Win 2k or XP and it will be of bearable speeds. I highly doubt you could get a wireless adapter to work with 95 though. Noth worth doing much with anything below a P3 for me really. All the old systems are good for is playing around/learning now. That's how I got to know what I know is by playing around with P1's and P2's. If you kill it by accident, no big loss.

That system can be used for really old computer games for the kids, but that's about it. if you got Word on it or something you can have it for typing...lol. But I had an older system and tried to play an mp3 on it before and it was all choppy, it just can't keep up with that kinda stuff.

I figured as much. I have 3 young girls (11 & 12) who only want to get on the PC to go online and play kids games (Disney). Looks like I will just have to hand down the P4 and upgrade myself:)

Gathering info now on how to do my first build so this should be a learning experience!

I figured as much. I have 3 young girls (11 & 12) who only want to get on the PC to go online and play kids games (Disney). Looks like I will just have to hand down the P4 and upgrade myself:)

Gathering info now on how to do my first build so this should be a learning experience!

We're here for you, so don't hesitate to ask us about your future build.
Also, one of our great members here has made a thread that shows you a nice variety of sample builds with all parts and prices listed. Here's the link:

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=69845

Cheers,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom