Windows 8 Information *Updated for SKU Versions*

So what will the new Charms start button going to do?

from the lies I see at techradar,
9. You no longer need the desktop Control Panel

The updated PC Settings in Windows 8.1 gives you access to all your settings on your device without having to go to the Control Panel on the desktop.

I reckon we'll have to wait to see what's FUD and what is not

Last edited:
The Charms Start Button will still be there. Remember the Start Button will only be on the desktop. If you are on the Start Screen or within an app, how else are you going to get back without the Charms Bar? So it will still very much serve a purpose. In both places.

Yes I know. But that doesnt negate the fact that on the desktop is the Start Button. It also shows how everything I have said is completely true.

1 click Start Button on touch screen to get directly to Start Screen.
Charms Bar still there for when within Apps.

If you watch the video, you will see that everything I have said is completely true and backed up by their own video. So it doesnt matter if a touch screen is used or a mouse and keyboard. It will still hold true no matter what is used as the input device.

I'm thinking people are expecting 8.1 to boot to the desktop with a start button in the taskbar as in all previous windows editions. That's not going to happen

charms...with the kiddie start tune and pretty colors, I'm surprised a leprechaun doesn't pop on to the screen and tells me it's magically delicious too

Last edited:
You are completely missing the point of this.

Look at the video. Pause it at 34 seconds. The Windows button in the lower left IS the Start Button. It IS in the taskbar. People will be able to boot directly to the desktop and have a start button. But there will be no Start Menu.

The Charms bar is nothing more than the term used for the bar that pops up when you press Windows Key + C. It is a term. Much like the Unity Bar in Ubuntu. Yeah it isn't the greatest of terms, but there was a point in time when Windows, GUI, and Start Menu were all thought of to be stupid as well.

Today I downloaded 8.1 pre-view....Can't find that damn start charm!
and it's a pain in the *** to use a mouse and kb. Must use arrow keys to scroll across the screen

On a side note, I had EX7forW8 installed, installed in Windows 7 mode and could not tell the Windows 8.1 even installed. I switched to Windows 8 mode and can tell some differences, files seem to transfer faster, I can get on the desktop now and there's options in the taskbar called "Desktop" like on other windows flavors to access the C drive, libraries and other files

Charm is the same. Windows Key + C. It brings up the Charms menu.

It is not a pain to use a mouse and keyboard. I have done it since day one. You got a scroll wheel right? Guess what acts like the arrow buttons? That right the scroll wheel. Stop making it harder for yourself.

Windows 8.1 is Released but be warned!!!!! It will NOT operate on all machines. From the FAQ:

Windows 8.1 Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 8:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Windows RT 8.1 Preview requires that you have a PC already running Windows RT with 10 GB of free storage space.

Warning:
In order to use Windows 8.1 Preview you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the final release of Windows 8.1.

Additional requirements to use certain features:

For 64-bit installations of Windows 8.1 Preview, your CPU must also support CMPXCHG16b, PrefetchW and LAHF/SAHF.

To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.

To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection, a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768, and a Microsoft account.

Internet access (ISP fees might apply).

Windows will check your system's eligibility before you update to make sure your system can support Windows 8.1 Preview.

The reason I state this, Windows 8.1 says my PC is incompatible. Now this could be due to many factors. Such as a 3rd party AV. It could be due to some of the programs I have installed are not compatible with the update. It could be due to the fact I have modified the Registry cause of my SSD installed. But for whatever reason, I cant just manually upgrade to 8.1 thru the Store. I have to download the ISO and install it fresh.

Yup....I checked getting an .ISO from my Windows 7 pc and the web site states the the .ISO's are not available yet. I used my Windows 8 and was able to update it with the 8.1 preview. I do not have a lot of software on the Windows 8 box because I mostly use the Windows 7. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm ready to learn to use Windows 8 efficiently yet. Seven works fine and I'm happy with that....at least til they pry it from my stubborn hands
I'll try the windows/c keys when I get it booted up again

Back
Top Bottom