Windows 7 users...

First result on Google when I looked.
https://www.howtogeek.com/228551/ho...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Disabling the service works perfect for XP, Vista, and 7. I ran 7 until August 2016 and not once did I get a single forced upgrade attempt to 10 and never any forced updates. It wasn't until 8.1 and 10 that Microsoft got savvy of the disabled update service and integrated ways to circumvent that where you'll notice the disabled update service is now set back to automatic. Even still there are easy ways around that on 10 too.

So with that context I'm to assume you're not even using Win 7 yet and that your cert issues are in XP based on the bold. That was what my reply was about because you made it seems like you were having cert issues in 7. XP and Vista are out, due to browser updates internet usage is almost effectively killed unless you use the Integral version of XP that comes preinstalled with Basilisk. Vista as far as I know has no alternate route even fully update. 7 has been unfazed so far and I can use it like it's W10.

With W10 adoption rates high Microsoft hasn't been pulling their shit for a long time now. I have my 7 test machine online with no modifications, fully updated, and not a single peep about upgrades. In fact, my 7 test machine is the least modified machine I have even compared to my main rig using 10 that has several OS mods to disable things.
"I'm wondering if you are having any problems with the embedded CA security certificates store in Win 7? Specifically, when you surf the net using a chrome/chromium-based browser, are you getting a zillion security errors that prevent you from reaching various sites? Are you still able to update the certificates store? Thanks!"

Or maybe a cigar was just a cigar, and you assumed there was some other meaning? The context is that I'm currently using XP Pro, which does indeed have those issues (among others), and I am preparing to switch to Win 7 Pro, in hopes of solving those issues. It seemed prudent to find out if this is the case, before I waste more effort and money on a deadend path....and I'll likely be asking other such questions along these same lines. Probably should of done so before I bought the Win 7 rig, but such is life.

As for "not even using Win 7", that depends on your definition of use. I am fiddling with it offline, in preparation for bringing it online. I bought a couple instructional manuals (ISBN#9780470503874 & 9780470508411), familiarizing myself with this OS, and practicing whatever I can that does not require internet connection. I am also using this for drawing up a 'to-do list' for the next house-call of my computer tech. Since it sounds like Win 7 embedded CA security certificates store can still be updated (unlike XP), that will be one of his chores. I pay him to do whatever I am not competant to do, or whatever I think likely to grind on my nerves.

I take some effort to make my posts/questions as specific and clear as possible. My apology if I failed to do so.

Yes! I have A windows 7 laptop that won't even load YouTube 9 times out of 10...
Might I ask which browser(s) you are using on YouTube? Also, any chance your laptop is just not powerful enough? I ask because my current XP Pro rig is a OptiPlex 960, 8GB RAM, Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, etc.), and it absolutely sucks with any video. I can't even get through a 'Darkness Prevails' upload without having to click on the spinning thingie at least twice to spur it on, and there is not really any video on those uploads...just narration. On an actual movie or TV show, the spinner is like every fifteen minutes, and it sometimes freezes completely.

I've seen security errors while on line just from having the wrong data or time on your pc. Check that too. While it is not totally impossible to get updates for Windows 7 today, it's usually not worth all that time and trouble. If your going to have a pc with Windows 7, why not install Windows 10 on it, because Microsoft is still giving free upgrades from 7 to 10. You may need to increase the memory to be running 10

Might I ask which browser(s) you are using on YouTube? Also, any chance your laptop is just not powerful enough? I ask because my current XP Pro rig is a OptiPlex 960, 8GB RAM, Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, etc.), and it absolutely sucks with any video. I can't even get through a 'Darkness Prevails' upload without having to click on the spinning thingie at least twice to spur it on, and there is not really any video on those uploads...just narration. On an actual movie or TV show, the spinner is like every fifteen minutes, and it sometimes freezes completely.
Those old Optiplex motherboards have a terrible habit of expanding capacitors........notorious actually. That could make anything go wanky

"I'm wondering if you are having any problems with the embedded CA security certificates store in Win 7? Specifically, when you surf the net using a chrome/chromium-based browser, are you getting a zillion security errors that prevent you from reaching various sites?
No, it's fine. For now anyways.
Are you still able to update the certificates store? Thanks!"
I have no idea.
Or maybe a cigar was just a cigar, and you assumed there was some other meaning? The context is that I'm currently using XP Pro, which does indeed have those issues (among others), and I am preparing to switch to Win 7 Pro, in hopes of solving those issues.
Yea, I got that. Your initial post did not have that context.
It seemed prudent to find out if this is the case, before I waste more effort and money on a deadend path....and I'll likely be asking other such questions along these same lines. Probably should of done so before I bought the Win 7 rig, but such is life.
This shouldn't cost a dime to test it out. Install 7 and test it out. Win 7 won't have those issues until browsers have dropped support for that OS.
As for "not even using Win 7", that depends on your definition of use. I am fiddling with it offline, in preparation for bringing it online. I bought a couple instructional manuals (ISBN#9780470503874 & 9780470508411), familiarizing myself with this OS, and practicing whatever I can that does not require internet connection. I am also using this for drawing up a 'to-do list' for the next house-call of my computer tech. Since it sounds like Win 7 embedded CA security certificates store can still be updated (unlike XP), that will be one of his chores. I pay him to do whatever I am not competant to do, or whatever I think likely to grind on my nerves.
Not to be rude but this thread is rather unnecessary at this point because your question was "does Win 7 have this issue" and you have a Win 7 rig. The simple answer was, plug it up to the net and find out? Like we're 3 months shy of a year on this thread being created and we're still on that. Maybe I'm missing some key point I may have missed but it seems rather simple to me that this could have been solved almost a year ago by just plugging it in based on this info below
Probably should of done so before I bought the Win 7 rig, but such is life.
You had the rig, asked the question, and now asking again almost a year later. What's the point of keeping it offline? We answered the W10 thing a while back too. Even if it did force (which it won't) it appears you have some sort of IT guy to do things for you. He could simply wipe the install and start over. Again maybe I'm missing something in my confusion, but all the answers seem rather obvious to me.
If you're running this hardware on XP, that's why it does that. If you have an acceptable GPU with that CPU that can do hardware acceleration you should be watching Youtube videos fine in Win 7.

It was an old Compaq Presario C700 (I obtained a "new" one with a quad core Vision 8gb RAM and 512mb VRAM and it works fine, I updated it to windows 10 from windows 8 the day i got it) and the GPU chip is dead on it now
I've seen security errors while on line just from having the wrong data or time on your pc. Check that too. While it is not totally impossible to get updates for Windows 7 today, it's usually not worth all that time and trouble. If your going to have a pc with Windows 7, why not install Windows 10 on it, because Microsoft is still giving free upgrades from 7 to 10. You may need to increase the memory to be running 10
I update all of my PC's to windows 10 normally, but this one had under 2gb of ram (it was running vista before) and i didn't have any DDR2 SODIMMs lying around anywhere.

First result on Google when I looked.
https://www.howtogeek.com/228551/ho...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Disabling the service works perfect for XP, Vista, and 7. I ran 7 until August 2016 and not once did I get a single forced upgrade attempt to 10 and never any forced updates. It wasn't until 8.1 and 10 that Microsoft got savvy of the disabled update service and integrated ways to circumvent that where you'll notice the disabled update service is now set back to automatic. Even still there are easy ways around that on 10 too.
Many thanks. I was unable to find it via Google search, but sometimes it all depends on what question one asks, and how it is worded. Anyway I've bookmarked it, and put the link on flashdrive. Had a hard drive meltdown a few years ago, so now I backup everything I cannot afford to lose. I'm hoping Win 7 will make archiving to CD/DVD easy, as it's way too nerve-grinding on XP to fool with.

I tried the usual update-disable method described on many sites (for example: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000538.htm#xp), and it was only effective for about a week in stopping the stealth downloads of KB junk to my XP Pro. It took the previously mentioned software to lock down whatever backdoor M$ was using. The fact M$ should of stopped this back in 2014, yet was still at it as of one year ago, means their credibility is nil with me....especially where EOL/EOS is concerned. Hopefully it will be different with Win 7 Pro, but I'll not be turning my back nor letting my guard down.

No, it's fine. For now anyways.

I have no idea.

Yea, I got that. Your initial post did not have that context.

This shouldn't cost a dime to test it out. Install 7 and test it out. Win 7 won't have those issues until browsers have dropped support for that OS.

Not to be rude but this thread is rather unnecessary at this point because your question was "does Win 7 have this issue" and you have a Win 7 rig. The simple answer was, plug it up to the net and find out? Like we're 3 months shy of a year on this thread being created and we're still on that. Maybe I'm missing some key point I may have missed but it seems rather simple to me that this could have been solved almost a year ago by just plugging it in based on this info below

You had the rig, asked the question, and now asking again almost a year later. What's the point of keeping it offline? We answered the W10 thing a while back too. Even if it did force (which it won't) it appears you have some sort of IT guy to do things for you. He could simply wipe the install and start over. Again maybe I'm missing something in my confusion, but all the answers seem rather obvious to me.

If you're running this hardware on XP, that's why it does that. If you have an acceptable GPU with that CPU that can do hardware acceleration you should be watching Youtube videos fine in Win 7.
I'd mark it solved, and close the thread if I could figure out how...but I can't, and some are still replying to the post, so I don't know what to tell you.

I am hoping that i can have a dual Boot with W7 on one ssd and W10 on the other. I am getting things ready for a brand new build. want W7 to Not be able to go on-line and W10 to be able to go on-line. My old games can be played on 7 but not 10. Sucks but older games. Fun is the old graffics are some kind of bad on a 27 inch monitor with 4k! Digital blocked but still able to play..yet. I should start this up in the next month or so. Another thing is will new 4th gen Ryzen play nice with older w7 games? Think thats everything?? with me, you just never know. New build will be Ryzen 5 4th gen with a 570 motherboard and 16 gigs of ram. Anyone have any ideas for this kind of system?

Back
Top Bottom