Windows 7 reinstallation help

vmx1987

Baseband Member
hey everyone,

I'm quite sure this has been asked already a few too many! But I tried to re-install my Windows 7 through re-installation files already built in my laptop. More than halfway through the process, it failed to reinstall! So now I'm stuck with "wiped" hard drive.

What is the best way to proceed? And what are the steps?

(luckily the laptop isnt my main one)

thanks!

Please post error message and/or screen shots. Need to know how you failed to help you pick it up. :)

actually, the message is gone now.

When i reboot the computer, it says "boot manager missing"

When i press esc while booting it takes me to a screen where it has the following optiong:
F1 System Information
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 BIOS Setup
F11 System Recovery
or press enter to continue startup

I may have to start a fresh installation files from either a flash drive or a disc. But i have no clue on where to start or where to get the resources.

I guess something happened during the installation that messed up your boot management.

If this is the only problem, then everything should be back to normal when you restore a boot manager (doesn't even have to be Windows).

Run the installation disc again to fix your Windows 7 Boot Loader.

Select "Repair your computer" when the installation main screen comes up.

Select the right OS (you probably only have one, so no confusion here), then go under Command Prompt when given the chance.

Enter:
bootrec /fixboot

Your licence is yours. If you got it through legal means, this does not change. I have never heard of anyone retrieving lost product key from Microsoft though. This makes it inconvenient for you to run re-installations (like now), but you should not run into problems with Windows updates.

Are you able to invoke from your built-in restore files the installation files -- not for re-installation, but for the /fixboot steps that I described above?

I suppose you could use one of Unix's several boot managers instead of Windows 7 Boot Loader...

I did several checks and turns out that the installation files are corrupted. I would have to contact hp for a system recovery disc.

I'm thinking of just ditching windows 7 and install Linux instead. I figured I would have to use a bootable USB stick and download a Linux iso installer on to the stick.

Any idea on how to create a bootable USB without signing up?

If you have an Office Max near you give them a call and give them the make and model of the computer in question. Reason I suggest this is they have recently started selling some of the major name brand recovery discs. They're not copies. Factory discs.
Might save your bacon...

Back
Top Bottom